An ESL Vocabulary Activity: Is that Sentence Correct?
Time: 10-20 minutes
Materials: Blank paper, vocabulary words
Is that Sentence Correct is a fun ESL vocabulary activity that is a sneaky way to get your students to make grammatically correct sentences using the target vocabulary. Start off by giving each student a different vocabulary word. It should be something that the students are quite familiar with already. The challenge in this activity is not the actual word; it’s using it in a sentence. Give the students 2-4 minutes to make one sentence using that word. Do not offer any assistance or correct any errors.
The first student reads his/her sentence out loud to the class. All the other students must then vote whether it’s correct or incorrect. Students make their own decision and there doesn’t need to be a consensus. You make the final judgment about whether or not the sentence is correct, and if a student guessed correctly, he/she gets one point. If the sentence is incorrect, you can elicit some reasons why from the students. The next students read their sentences and the game continues.
- Give each student a different vocabulary word.
- Each student writes one sentence using that word.
- The first student reads his/her sentence out loud to the class.
- All the other students vote on whether it is correct or incorrect (students vote independently).
- If the sentence is incorrect and a student voted “incorrect” he/she gets one point and vice versa. Students keep track of their total points.
- If the sentence is incorrect, you can elicit reason why from the students.
Like this ESL Vocabulary Activity?
Then you’ll love this book: 39 ESL Vocabulary Activities For Kids (7+).
In the book, you’ll get 38 more high-quality ESL vocabulary games and activities that you can use in your own classes today. Maybe you’re kind of like me and have wasted countless hours searching around on the Internet for the one or two fun, engaging and interesting things that your students will like. Stop wasting your time! This book will save you a ton of time when you’re planning your lessons and will help to make your classes awesome.
You can buy the book on Amazon in both print and digital formats. The digital one can be read on any smartphone, tablet, Mac or PC by getting the free Kindle App.