Many English teachers are wary about the financial penalties they will incur for cancelling a class or calling in sick. While they may earn considerable pay from teaching English online, some teachers prefer to look for companies that charge minimal penalties in these situations. There is one company that does not impose any penalties if the teacher is sick or cancels a class. And this company is SayABC.
Teaching ESL Online with SayABC
SayABC is an online English teaching platform owned by the same company that owns VIPKid. While they are sister companies under Horizon Education, they have different management teams.
VIPKid is considered among the best English teaching platforms for North Americans since it only hires native English speakers from North America.
On the other hand, SayABC hires native English speakers from other countries aside from the United States and Canada. They hire teachers from the United Kingdom, New Zealand, Australia, and South Africa, among others.
With this in mind, you can safely say that SayABC has a bigger market in terms of the teachers who want to teach English online. Moreover, the platform does not have a minimum number of hours for teachers to teach online.
But what makes SayABC appealing to English teachers is that it doesn’t impose any financial penalties for teachers who call in sick and have to cancel their class.
The teachers have the following options if they are sick and cannot teach a class:
- Send a detailed request through Skype at least 24 hours before the start of the class so another teacher can cover for it.
- Send a detailed request through the support email of the company if the class starts in less than 24 hours but more than 4 hours
- Or, send a detailed request through email to SayABC if the class starts within 4 hours,
Now, let’s take a look at the details about SayABC if you’re planning to join the company.
What are the Requirements to Teach at SayABC?
SayABC is among several English teaching companies that accept native English speakers from countries outside of North America. So, in addition to US and Canadian citizens, the company also accepts teachers who come from the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and Ireland.
The following are the requirements for teaching at SayABC:
- Native English speaker
- Bachelor’s degree holder on any subject
- Holder of a 120-hour CELTA, TEFL, or TESOL certificate
- Teaching experience of at least one year (English teaching is preferred)
The company only accepts Bachelor’s degree holders due to new regulations set by the Ministry of Education of China requiring all teachers using a Chinese platform to have one.
The following are the technical requirements of SayABC for its teachers:
- Desktop or laptop with a good CPU, 2GB RAM, modern OS, and a webcam
- Noise-canceling headset with a microphone.
- Google Chrome browser to access the training materials and classes of the company
- Fast internet connection with a minimum download speed of 10mbps and minimum upload speed of 2mbps
Once you have the equipment set up, SayABC will provide the download link so you can install the teaching software that will be used for the interview.
How Much does SayABC Pay?
SayABC offers a base pay of $13 USD and a $4 USD incentive per class depending on productivity and attendance. This means the potential earnings of the teachers is at $17 USD for every 40-minute class. This is at the higher end and better than some companies like 51Talk or QKids.
In addition to the $4 USD teachers get for productivity and attendance, they can also earn an additional $7 USD if they act as standby teachers who are ready to substitute teachers who cannot handle their classes in less than 24 hours.
With this, they can earn a total of $24 USD per 40-minute class if they substitute for another teacher’s class.
Bonuses and Incentives
The company also has a good bonus and incentive program for its teachers. The bonuses and incentives offered by SayABC are as follows:
- $4 USD add-on bonus to the base pay depending on productivity and attendance
- $7 USD additional pay for standby teachers who act as substitute teachers after a notice of less than 24 hours.
- $7 USD additional pay for taking over a group class in the middle of a unit
- $8 USD bonus for every student who signs with the platform after a trial class
- $2 USD seasonal bonus when the demand for teachers is high
- $100 USD for successfully referring a teacher to the company.
How do you get Paid?
The teachers can expect their payments to be processed by SayABC on or before the 15th of each month. The payments are made through wire transfer.
SayABC Contracts and Taxes
SayABC requires its teachers to sign a three-month renewable contract before working on their platform. If the teachers want to take a break I between contracts, they should give the company a two-week notice before the planned break.
Since teachers are considered independent contractors, they are responsible for filing and paying their taxes depending on the tax jurisdiction or the laws of their country.
What’s the Recruiting Process Like?
At this point, you may be ready to send in your application. Continue reading to know about the recruiting process of SayABC.
- Sign Up – The first step requires you to set up your account on the SayABC website and submit your resume. Once your resume passes, you will receive an email allowing you to log into the website to schedule an interview.
- Interview – A live interview is conducted or if you opted for a recorded interview, make sure it lasts for 30 minutes. The 30-minute recorded interview should include a 15-minute demo class.
- Feedback – After passing the interview, you’ll be given feedback to make adjustments to your teaching style. At this point, you should practice for the evaluation class using the materials provided.
- Evaluation Class – You will have to go through an evaluation class with real students. This will be a 40-minute class with four students and if you pass, you can expect to receive a contract.
- Contract Signing – After passing the evaluation class, you need to upload all necessary documents to the website. A criminal background check is also conducted. If everything is in proper order, you’ll sign the consulting agreement with the company.
Looking at the process, you’ll see that it’s quite straightforward. So, if you have all the requirements and qualifications necessary to teach English, you’ll easily ace the whole application process.
Tips for the Interview
Covering all the requirements needed by SayABC doesn’t automatically mean you’ll be accepted as a teacher by the company. Due to this, you may want to review the following tips
- Prepare the equipment for the interview. Make sure to check your computer, webcam, and internet connection to avoid any issues during the interview.
- Wear children-friendly attire. While you cannot judge a book by its cover, dressing appropriately during an interview will earn you plus point from your interviewer.
- Have a conversation with the interviewer. You should be able to demonstrate your conversational skills, which are useful when you teach.
- Listen attentively to the interviewer. In order to have a good conversation during the interview, you should answer any questions clearly and concisely. This means listening to the questions and going directly to the point when answering them.
- Since your demo lesson gives the company a glimpse of what you can do, you should make sure to make it as perfect as you can. This means you should practice it before the interview schedule. As they say, practice makes perfect.
What is the Work Schedule Like?
SayABC offers three types of classes:
- Trial Classes – designed to showcase the platform as well as sell what they are offering. Since the students haven’t signed up yet, the teachers are encouraged to make the class enjoyable and productive for the students so they will sign up with SayABC.
- Major Classes – these are the main classes of the platform where the curriculum is taught and the students start developing good study habits.
- Emergency Classes – these are the classes where standby teachers have to substitute for another teacher. Standby teachers earn a bonus for accepting these classes with a notice of less than 24 hours.
Most of the students are available for the classes during the following time:
- Monday to Friday: 4:50 PM to 8:50 PM
- Saturday and Sunday: 9:50 AM to 11:20 AM and 4:50 PM to 8:50 PM
Take note that all classes are held following Beijing Time (GMT +8)
The SayABC Teaching Platform
SayABC is a promising platform for native English teachers who are not from North America. Since the platform accepts teachers from all over the world, it’s a good option for English teachers from the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English-speaking countries in the world.
Moreover, it is one of a few platforms that doesn’t impose any financial penalties for cancelling a class. This makes it even more appealing for English speakers who want to make money using their natural ability to speak the language.
The Takeaway on SayABC
If you’re looking for a good English teaching platform that accepts teachers from different parts of the world, then SayABC should be on the top of your list.
There are a number of common questions that people have about teaching online for this company. Here are the answers to some of the most popular ones.
Do you need a degree for SayABC?
SayABC does require a degree in order to teach for them. However, they may consider making an exception if you are otherwise highly qualified to teach English.
Is SayABC part of VIPKid?
SayABC is a sister company of VIPKid. They are similar in that they both target the Chinese market and they are both gaining market share rapidly in this space.
Can I make a living teaching English online?
It’s possible to make a living teaching online with a company like SayABC. The pay ranges from $10-20 USD per hour. Some companies also offer bonuses for the more hours you teach, as well as raises once you get good reviews and more experiences.
Have your Say about SayABC Teaching Jobs
What do you think about this company for teaching English online? Is it a winner or do you have another company you’d like to recommend like NiceTalk or Palfish? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think. We’d love to hear from you.
Also, be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other busy English teachers, like yourself who are interested in teaching online find this useful resource.