When it comes to online English teaching companies, there are times when the new kid on the block can offer more than the old-timers in the industry. This is somewhat true with a relatively new English online company based out of Beijing, China called GoGoKid.
The company doesn’t limit itself to providing an online platform where teachers and students meet, it goes beyond what’s expected of it. The company makes the platform more interactive while using a story-like structure for its lessons to make the students feel like they’re off on an adventure.
What is GogoKid Online English Teaching Platform?
You may be wondering what’s the name of the company. The name is GogoKid, which is somewhat fitting since the students are going on an adventure. Established in 2018, the company is relatively new in the online English teaching industry.
It was started by the same company that brought TikTok to the world, ByteDance. It focuses on teaching young learners in China to speak English. To do this, the company hire native English speakers with a Bachelor’s degree. The interactive platform connects experienced and enthusiastic with the students and helps them reach their full potentials.
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Bolen, Jackie (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 123 Pages - 04/13/2020 (Publication Date)
What are the Requirements to Teach at GogoKid?
Similar to many online English teaching platforms, GogoKid is also strict when it comes to the requirements for its teachers. The following are the requirements to teach at GogoKid:
- Bachelor’s degree – This is important since the families of their students are meticulous about the qualifications of the teachers. Don’t have one? Check out this article: Teaching English online without a degree.
- Native English speakers – The teachers should also be native English speakers. In fact, the company leans towards American or Canadian citizens, similar to Say ABC. If you’re Filipino, you may instead want to consider 51 Talk.
- One-year teaching experience – This is another important requirement since you will have lesser chances of becoming a GogoKid teacher if you don’t have any teaching experience
- TEFL or TESOL certificate – A TEFL or TESOL certificate may not be explicitly required, but it will increase your chances of being accepted as a teacher in the company.
For other similar companies to this one, have a look atMagic Ears, VIPKid or DaDaABC. In terms of pay, teaching hours and qualifications, they are all pretty similar, it’s just that GoGoKid is the new kid on the block. More details:
Now that we covered the personal requirements of the teachers, let’s talk about the technical requirements of the company. While some online English teaching portals have a general guideline when it comes to their software and hardware, GogoKid is a bit different. The company is more specific in some of its requirements. The requirements are as follows:
- Mac OS 10.8x and up or Windows 7 and up
- At least an Intel Core i3 with a memory of at least 4GB
- HD webcam or integrated camera
- Headset with microphone featuring a stable input and output
- Wired DSL connection with a speed of at least 20 Mbps
This is very similar to what it required by most companies, including TwoSigmas.
How Much does GogoKid Pay?
GogoKid offers a considerable amount for its teachers. They get a base pay of $7 to $10 USD per25-minute class depending on their credentials and how they fared during the interview. This would be equal to around $14 to $25 USD per hour.
Bonuses and Incentives
GogoKid has a notable bonus and incentive plan. While it’s mainly based on the teacher’s credit score, some bonuses are based on completed classes. The following are some of the bonuses offered by the company:
- $150 USD for three scheduled classes within 30 days of getting hired or 30 days of activating the account. This is mainly for new teachers
- $150 for a four-star review on the first three classes of a new teacher
- Additional 10 to 25 percent of monthly earnings based on credit score or student feedback and class completion, among others.
How do you get Paid?
The teachers normally receive their pay for the last calendar month on the 15th of the current month. This means the teachers can expect to receive their payment for September by October 15.
Payments can be done through direct bank deposits. But, GogoKid is recommending the use of PayPal as the primary payment option so the teachers will receive their payments on time.
GogoKid Contracts and Taxes
GogoKid considers its teachers are independent contractors. Due to this, the company does not pay the taxes of the teachers for them. With this, the teachers should be aware of the tax regulations in the country or where they’re living in. They should also pay the proper taxes due based on their earnings.
What’s the Recruiting Process Like?
The recruiting process of GogoKid is considered to be shorter compared to several other English teaching platforms. The process is as follows:
- The first thing you should do is to complete an online application. This means signing up on the website and filling in your basic information.
- The second step entails scheduling an interview. At this time, you can already showcase your knowledge and skills to the interviewer. Aside from the interview, you will also have an interview demo where you should showcase your teaching skills.
- Joining an orientation program and take an orientation quiz. Join a training session with other applicants. Conduct a mock class training session.
- The next step is submitting all the necessary paperwork. The documents will be verified by the staff of the company.
- The last step is signing the contract.
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Smith, Jennifer Booker (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 133 Pages - 03/31/2016 (Publication Date)
Tips for the Interview
The interview process at GogoKid is straightforward and simple. But you need to make sure to prepare for it ahead of time, especially when it comes to the demo class and the mock class. Check out the following tips you should consider about the interview process at GogoKid
- Even before the interview, you should make sure to put in all your teaching information and experience at the very first step of the process. The more information you put in, the bigger chance you’ll qualify for the teaching job.
- Scheduling an interview may be challenging, so you should make sure to check the available schedule regularly until you find a slot that you’re comfortable with.
- Since the demo class and the mock class will either be live or recorded, you should prepare for both situations.
- Make sure the lighting and background are prepared.
- You should also go through the slides and practice using them beforehand.
What is the Work Schedule Like?
Similar to other English teaching companies, you can select the hours when you’ll teach. But you’ll have to take note of the time when the students will be accessing the platform. The time the students will be logging I for classes are as follows:
- Monday to Friday: 6:00 to 10:00 PM (Beijing time)
- Saturday and Sunday: 9:00 AM -10:00 PM (Beijing time)
While the class itself is only 25 minutes, the slots will be 30 minutes each. There is a five-minute buffer in case your student comes in late.
The GogoKid Teaching Platform
The GogoKid teaching platform is innovative since it’s not a run-of-the-mill English teaching company. Instead of lecture-based teaching, the platform uses an interactive, story-based teaching strategy where the students feel like they’re on an adventure. With this, the students won’t get bored easily since it will make them curious and interested in what will happen next.
If you want to know what other teachers think about this popular online teaching platform, have a look at these detailed reviews:
The Takeaway on GogoKid
If you’re looking for an online English teaching company with a straightforward recruitment process and a notable bonus scheme, you may want to consider applying at GogoKid. It has some excellent reviews from teachers, students, and parents.
Have your say about this GoGo Kid Review
What are your thoughts about this popular company for teaching English online to children? Is it a winner, or do you have another company that you’d like to recommend? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think. We’d love to hear from you.
Also, be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other English teachers, like yourself find this useful resource.
Last update on 2021-07-31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API