When it comes to online teaching, teaching proficiency can only go as far as the software the teachers are using. If it’s not interactive, the learning process may be limited. With this, it’s always a good idea to look for an English teaching company with an interactive platform like QKids.
There is one company that has one of the most interactive software in the market. Many teachers who are connected with this online teaching platform can attest to this. Did we pique your interest?
If yes, continue reading and know more about Qkids.
What is QKids?
Qkids is an online teaching platform that connects North American English teachers with Chinese students between the ages of four and twelve years old. This is similar to another company called Bling ABC. It uses a game-based learning platform to facilitate the learning process. The platform makes learning a dynamic and fun experience for both the students and the teachers.
The pay may not be the highest, but the patented online classroom of the company allows the students to have fun while learning to speak English. The user-friendly platform also gives American and Canadian teachers the chance to make the learning process enjoyable for their students.
The teachers can use funny stories and cute characters to teach their students on the platform. Qkids already has more than 800,000 children signed up as students ever since it was established in 2015.
The company is based in Xiamen and has offices in Beijing, Guangzhou, and Shenzhen.
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Bolen, Jackie (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 123 Pages - 04/13/2020 (Publication Date)
What are the Requirements to Teach at Qkids?
The following are the requirements for anyone who wants to become a Qkids teacher:
- Can legally work in the United States or Canada (If you’re from the Philippines, instead consider 51Talk)
- Bachelor’s degree in any program
- Teaching license or an English teaching certificate, such as TESOL/TEFL/CELTA
- Can commit to working at least six hours each week for six months
While Qkids require teachers to be eligible to work in the United States, California residents may not be allowed to teach due to the recently-passed California Assembly Bill 5.
The technical requirements of Qkids are as follows:
- Headset with microphone
- Computer or laptop with a built-in camera or webcam
- Stable wired internet connection
The internet speed required by Qkids for its teachers is not as fast as many other English teaching companies. They only require a minimum upload speed of 2 Mbps and a minimum download speed of 4 Mbps.
How Much does Qkids Pay?
As indicated earlier, the pay at Qkids is not the highest in the industry when compared to VIPKid, First Future Teaching, GoGo Kid, Magic Ears, or DaDa ABC. They offer a base pay of $8 USD for a 30-minute class session. This means teachers can earn around $16 USD per hour.
With the bonuses and incentives, teachers can earn up to $20 USD per hour. That makes the QKids salary quite high compared to some other companies.
Teachers also earn $4 USD for every standby lesson or they wait for ten minutes waiting to fill-in for another teacher. If the standby lesson converts into an actual class or they need to cover for another teacher, they’ll be paid the usual base rate of $8.
One thing to remember with Qkids is that the company doesn’t currently offer any increases on the base pay. So, even after you finished the six-month contract and move to another six-month contract, the base pay will remain the same.
Bonuses and Incentives
Qkids also offers several bonuses and incentives for their teachers. These bonuses and incentives are as follows:
- Attendance bonus of $1 USD per class if the teacher teaches at least 15 classes for a one-week period.
- Performance bonus of $1 USD per class if the teacher receives positive feedback from the student’s parents after the class.
- Referral bonus of $100 USD if the teacher helps another teacher throughout the hiring process.
- $16 trial class pay for teaching two trial lessons.
- Qkids also gives random bonuses to their teachers throughout the year.
QKids Salary: How do you get Paid?
Payments are made through direct bank deposits. The company takes care of the transaction fees so the teachers won’t have to worry about them. They are transferred directly into a US or Canadian bank account.
All payments are made in US dollars, even for Canadian residents.
Payments for the previous month are made on the 15th of the following month. For instance, earnings made in January are paid on February 15. If the date falls under a Chinese national holiday, the payment will be made on the next business day.
Qkids Contracts and Taxes
The contract term for Qkids teachers is six months. At the end of the six-month contract, an evaluation is conducted to see if the contract can be extended. If the teacher wants time off, he or she should get in touch with the Class Coordination Team and inform them about it.
Qkids teachers are considered as independent contractors. Due to this, they are responsible for reporting their income and paying their own taxes according to their country or state laws and their respective tax jurisdictions.
What’s the Recruiting Process Like?
The entire recruiting process of Qkids normally takes two weeks to complete. This already includes the two demo lessons and the trial classes conducted by the aspiring teacher.
The following are the steps in the recruiting process of Qkids:
- Upload all required documents – these documents include your resume, screenshot of your computer specs, and your availability (should be at least six hours each week)
- Initial screening – at this point, you should send a two-minute video introduction telling Qkids who you are, where you live, your educational background, and teaching experience, particularly with kids. You should also read a children’s story on the video recording.
- First demo interview – Qkids will provide a lesson plan in the first demo since it will focus on how proficient you are in using the teaching platform of Qkids, including sound and video quality management. You will also answer some questions about student interactions and teaching in general.
- Second demo interview – the second demo interview is a full 25-minute question and answer session. You will also demonstrate your teaching skills and showcase your personality.
- Background checks – background checks are part of the recruiting procedure of English teaching companies.
- Trial classes – You will also teach around five lessons with students. Lessons plans will be provided to allow you to prepare for the lessons. After the lessons, you will receive feedback from the family.
- Contract signing – If you pass the background check and trial classes, you will sign a six-month contract with Qkids.
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Bolen, Jackie (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 87 Pages - 10/24/2019 (Publication Date)
Tips for the Interview
The interview process of Qkids is rather straightforward. Even with this, you may want to check some tips to increase your chances of becoming a Qkids teacher.
- Make sure to follow the instructions – this is particularly true with the time requirement. For instance, the introduction requires you to record a video that’s around two minutes long. So, you should make sure all your information along with the children’s story stays within the time limit
- Be expressive and show enthusiasm – when reading the children’s story, make the story jump out and come alive. Be enthusiastic and use suitable body language to tell the story.
- Go through the lesson plan and practice – while preparing for the demo interview, review and practice it. Similarly, familiarize yourself with the Qkids software and practice using the buttons and tools.
These are just some of the tips to keep in mind so you’ll have a bigger chance of passing the interview process.
What is the Work Schedule Like?
Since Qkids is a China-based company, most of its students follow Beijing time. With this, the teachers will teach either early in the morning or late at night. The following is the work schedule of Qkids teachers.
- Monday to Sunday: 6:30 to 9:30 PM (Beijing time)
- Additional Friday and Saturday schedule: 8:30 AM to 11:40 AM (Beijing time)
It’s also important to take note that Qkids teachers are asked to teach a minimum of six hours each week.
The Qkids Teaching Platform
The Qkids teaching platform is considered as among the best in the industry. Aside from being user-friendly, it also uses a narrative, game-based approach to encourage participation among the students. Moreover, the teachers don’t have to worry about making props for the lessons since everything is provided for on the platform.
Q Kids FAQs
There are a number of common questions that people have about teaching with this online teaching company. Here are the answers to some of the most popular ones.
How much can you make with Qkids?
You can generally make between $16-20 USD per hour when teaching with Qkids. However, there are some teachers who do earn more than $20 USD per hour, making this one of the more lucrative online teaching companies.
Do you need a degree for Qkids?
Qkids are very strict when it comes to needing a degree. You need a Bachelor’s degree, or you must be pursuing one from an accredited college or university.
Can a Filipino work for Qkids?
A Filipino can’t work for Qkids. They are very strict about only hiring teachers from Canada and the USA.
Is QKids a legit company?
Yes, Qkids is a legit company. They are among the leaders for online English teaching to children and have a great reputation among teachers.
Is Qkids good to work for?
According to teacher reviews, Qkids is a good company to work for. They pay well and have a flexible cancellation policy. Plus, the staff is accessible and helpful if needed.
Does Qkids take taxes?
No, Qkids doesn’t take taxes out of your pay. They consider their teachers to be independent contractors. This means that you’re responsible for paying any taxes your might own in your local jurisdiction.
How many hours a week do Qkids run?
You have the option of teaching up to 38 classes per week (19 hours total) with Qkids. This means that you can earn around $1600 USD per month with the maximum schedule.
The Takeaway on Qkids
Looking for an English teaching company that allows you to take your students on an adventure? Then, you should stop your search with the Qkids teaching platform since it offers a user-friendly, game-based software that makes learning an enjoyable adventure.
Have your Say about QKids
What do you think about this platform for teaching English to kids online? Is it the right one for you, or do you have another recommendation? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think. We’d love to hear from you.
Also, be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other online teachers, like yourself find this useful resource.
Last update on 2022-01-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API