Gardening is taking care of plants, like flowers, vegetables, or herbs, in a garden or outdoor space. It involves planting seeds, removing weeds, and giving plants water and sunlight to help them grow. There are specific gardening tools to help people complete these activities. Gardening is a very popular hobby around the world. There are various reasons why people like gardening. Some people find it relaxing and therapeutic, some like to grow their own food, and some enjoy decorating their outdoor space.
Tools are an essential part of gardening. The number of tools and types of equipment people need depends on the garden size. Some people have a huge one in their backyards and some have tiny balcony gardens. However, there are some very common garden tools that gardeners will need despite the size of their gardens. Let’s go over the list of those basic gardening equipment!
Gardening Tools List
Use this image to preview the gardening tools that will be discussed further in the article.
Gardening Tools Names in English
Here’s a list of common gardening tools with pictures.
Boots are worn in gardening to protect your feet from mud, water, and thorns while you work with plants and soil.
A fence in gardening is used to create a boundary, providing protection and privacy for plants, flowers, or vegetables in your garden.
Fertilizer is used in gardening to give plants the essential nutrients they need for healthy growth and better productivity.
Flower seeds are used in gardening to grow new plants, adding beauty and color to your garden.
A flowerpot is used in gardening to hold soil and nurture plants, making it convenient to grow flowers, herbs, or other greenery in a contained and manageable space.
Gloves are used in gardening to protect your hands from dirt, thorns, and cuts while you work with plants and soil.
Grass in gardening is commonly grown as a ground cover or lawn, providing a green and soft area for various outdoor activities. If you want to plant grass, the best way is to purchase sod grass which is grass that has been pre-grown and is ready to be transplanted to your garden. You can easily roll out and plant.
Shears are used in gardening to trim and shape bushes, hedges, or plants, keeping them neat and promoting healthy growth.
Harvesting in gardening involves gathering ripe crops, such as fruits or vegetables, from plants for consumption or storage.
A hose is used in gardening to deliver water to plants, making it convenient to irrigate your garden and keep your plants hydrated.
A lawnmower is used in gardening to cut and maintain the grass in your lawn, keeping it tidy and well-manicured.
Pruning shears are specialized shears for the detailed pruning (trimming or cutting away) of plants. They are used in gardening to trim and shape plants by cutting away unwanted branches or stems, promoting healthier growth.
A rake is used in gardening to collect leaves and debris or to level the soil by gently dragging it, making garden maintenance easier.
Seeds are used in gardening to grow new plants by planting them in soil, providing the starting point for a variety of flowers, vegetables, or herbs.
A shovel is used in gardening to dig and move soil, helping with tasks such as planting, transplanting, and shaping the terrain in your garden.
Soil in gardening serves as the foundation for plants, providing essential nutrients and a supportive environment for their growth.
A trowel is used in gardening to dig small holes for planting, making it a handy tool for transplanting flowers or seedlings.
A watering can is used in gardening to easily and precisely water plants, ensuring they receive the right amount of moisture for healthy growth.
A wheelbarrow is used in gardening to transport soil, plants, or other materials, making it easier to move heavy loads around your garden.
Gardening vs. Landscaping
Gardening and landscaping seem like similar activities, but they differ in scale and purpose.
Definition of Gardening
Gardening is the practice of cultivating and taking care of plants in smaller spaces like your backyard, focusing on activities like planting flowers or growing vegetables for personal use. People considered gardening as a part of landscaping.
Definition of Landscaping
Landscaping is the broader practice of planning, designing, and managing outdoor spaces on a larger scale. It includes the arrangement and modification of the natural elements, such as plants and terrain, as well as the addition of hardscape features like pathways, structures, and water features. In other words, landscaping isn’t just about growing plants. Instead, it uses plants and other elements to design aesthetically pleasing outdoor spaces.
Professional Landscaping Tools List
Here is a list of landscaping tools:
- Lawn Mower: For cutting and maintaining grass.
- String Trimmer or Edger: Used for trimming grass and creating clean edges.
- Hedge Trimmer: Designed for trimming and shaping hedges and bushes.
- Pruning Shears: Ideal for precision pruning and cutting small branches.
- Loppers: Longer-handled pruning shears for thicker branches.
- Pruning Saw: Used for cutting larger branches or small trees.
- Shovel: Essential for digging, planting, and moving soil.
- Rake: For collecting leaves, debris, and leveling soil.
- Wheelbarrow: Useful for transporting soil, plants, or other materials.
- Leaf Blower: Helps clear leaves and debris from outdoor spaces.
- Sprinkler System: Automated watering system for large landscapes.
- Soil Test Kit: Used to analyze soil composition and pH levels.
- Garden Cart: A wheeled cart for moving tools, plants, or materials.
- Aerator: Improves soil aeration and reduces compaction.
- Landscape Fabric: Controls weeds and conserves moisture.
- Garden Gloves: Protects hands during various tasks.
- Landscape Rake: Specifically designed for levelling soil and gravel.
- Mulching Equipment: Helps apply mulch for moisture retention and weed control.
- Hardscape Tools: Such as concrete saws, pavers, and bricklaying tools for constructing pathways and other structures.
- Safety Gear: Includes items like safety glasses, ear protection, and appropriate footwear.
Tool Name Quiz
Gardening Tools FAQs
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about garden tools.
What are the names of hand tools for weeding in the garden?
The list of hand tools for weeding in the garden includes:
- Hand Trowel
- Weeder or Dandelion Digger
- Hori-Hori Knife
- Hand Hoe or Loop Hoe / Homi
- Hand Fork
- CobraHead Weeder and Cultivator
- Scuffle or Stirrup Hoe
- Japanese Nejiri Gama Weeder
- Hand Weeders with Forked Tips