New players in the ESL market normally take it slow and gradually work themselves up in the industry. But this doesn’t apply to all newbies in the ESL landscape. One company is making waves through its considerable offer together with the resources they provide its teachers. Find out all the details you need to know about Magic Ears, including hours, salary, requirements and a whole lot more.
Do you want to know more about this newcomer that’s turning heads in the online English teaching landscape? Continue reading and find out about Magic Ears ESL teaching platform.
What is Magic Ears?
Magic Ears is relatively new in the English teaching industry since it only started offering its services in 2017. The platform provides high-quality English lessons to Chinese children between the ages of four and twelve. The company offers a one-one-four classroom experience, which is unlike the one-on-one approach followed by a lot of English teaching platforms.
The platform is also interactive and the company has a lenient cancellation policy. Moreover, the company also has a good amount of free training resources for their teachers. They are similar in terms of pay, qualifications, hours, etc. to companies like GoGoKid, First Future, DaDaABC and VIPKids.
What are the Requirements to Teach at Magic Ears?
Since Magic Ears aims to offer high-quality education for its students, it wants to ensure they get the best teacher in the industry. With this, the requirements are rather stringent. It’s stricter than some English teaching companies like PalFish, 51 Talk, or TwoSigmas.
The following are the requirements of Magic Ears for its teachers:
- Bachelor’s degree holder or at least a student who is currently pursuing a degree (an official transcript should be provided)
- Native English speaker who speaks the language at an idiomatic level (they generally hire Canadians and Americans)
- 120-hour ESL/TEFL certification
- Energetic and has a passion for teaching children
- Can commit to teaching for at least six months
- Preferably with ESL teaching experience
If you don’t have an ESL or TEFL certificate, Magic Ears is offering a 120-hour fully-accredited Advanced TESOL course at a minimal fee. So, you may want to consider getting one through the company.
While the company prefers North American speakers, it also accepts native English speakers coming from other countries, including the United Kingdom, New Zealand, Australia, and South Africa.
But the company is holding off from accepting applications from residents of California due to the California Assembly Bill 5.
Technical Requirements for Magic Ears
Aside from the professional and personal requirements, Magic Ears is also rather strict in its technical requirements. Check out the technical requirements of the company:
- Desktop or laptop with a fourth-generation i5 processor (the models should have the HK, HQ, and M suffixes) and 4GB RAM
- Windows or Mac OS
- Headset featuring a built-in microphone
- Fast and stable wired internet connection with a minimum download speed of 20 Mbps and a minimum upload speed of 10 Mbps
- Web cam
- Magic Ears software app for the classes
- DingTalk app for communication
Take note that the software will not work on other devices, such as iPads and Chromebooks. Moreover, processor models with the Y suffix are also not advisable since they can cause issues while using the platform. These issues include the loss of some functions and lags.
In addition to the equipment, you should also make sure your working area meets the following conditions:
- Have a suitable illumination
- Tidy, colourful, and child-friendly background
- Quiet environment
Having these technical and physical requirements ready will increase your chances of getting accepted as a Magic Ears teacher.
Magic Ears Teacher Portal
As far as the teaching portal goes, it is reasonably user-friendly and doesn’t require any specialized equipment, beyond what you’d have for other online teaching gigs. You should have a decent computer or laptop and a headset with a microphone.
It’s easy to log into the portal and navigate your way around. You can also easily find things like upcoming classes, pay information, and more.
Magic Ears Working Hours
In terms of working hours, you’ll be teaching children in China, specifically Beijing. You can find work at the following times (Beijing time)
- Weekdays 6:30-9:00 pm
- Weekends and holidays 10:00-11:30 am, 6:30-9:00 pm
As Magic Ears prefers to hire teachers from the USA and Canada, this means that you’ll be working very early in the morning or late at night. While this isn’t ideal, they do pay more than many other online teaching companies.
How Much does Magic Ears Pay?
As indicated earlier, Magic Ears may be relatively new but the company offers a rate higher than many other English teaching platforms. The company offers a base pay of around $18 USD to $26 USD per hour, which is around $9 USD to $13 USD per class of 25 minutes.
The rate is based on the credentials submitted by the teacher. The pay will increase depending on the performance of the teacher after a six-month period.
Bonuses and Incentives
Magic Ears offers a couple of bonuses for its teachers. The bonuses are as follows:
- $1 bonus per lesson if the teacher arrives ten minutes before the scheduled class and completes the class as scheduled.
- $1 peak time bonus per class if the teacher opens at least 60 peak hour slots within a one-month period.
- Quarterly bonus for eligible teachers after a quarterly evaluation
How do you get Paid?
Payments are made through PayPal or direct bank transfer every 10th of the next month. For instance, all January classes are paid on February 10.
If the teacher earns $50 USD or less for the month, the payment will be combined with the earnings in the following month.
Payments from $51 USD to $100 USD are made through PayPal. If the teacher doesn’t use the PayPal payment option, the earnings will be combined with the earnings in the next month.
The company releases a payslip on the 3rd of each month. The teachers should sign the payslip on or before the 8th of the month to ensure the payment is released on time.
Magic Ears Contracts and Taxes
The company requires its teachers to sign up for a six-month contract. But it doesn’t have a minimum teaching requirement per month. At the end of the contract, a Developmental Coach will review the performance of the teacher to determine if they should receive a contract renewal offer.
If the teachers plan to take a break within the contract term, they should inform the company 14 business days before they’re planning to take a break.
Similar to other English teaching companies, Magic Ears considers its teachers are independent contractors. Due to this, the teachers have the responsibility of paying their own taxes depending on their tax jurisdiction. Additionally, the company does not provide any tax documents for its contractors.
What’s the Recruiting Process Like?
The recruitment process at Magic Ears is simple and straightforward. The teachers also have free access to videos and other materials to help them in the process. The process is as follows:
- Online Application – Apply online through the company website. The teacher can sign up through the teacher portal and fill up a form before proceeding to the interview section.
- Interview – The teachers can choose between having a live interview demo or a recorded interview demo. The live demo will last around six to eight minutes. On the other hand, the recorded demo should last three to five minutes.
- Training sessions – The training sessions are either one-on-one or e-training. One-on-one training is given to teachers who have no online teaching experience. On the other hand, teachers with online teaching experience will go through an e-training sessions.
- Trial Demo – After the training sessions, the teachers will have the chance to show off what they can do through a trial teaching demo. The demo class will last 15 minutes and the teachers should be on the top of their game.
- Background Check and Contract Offer – At this point, if the teacher passes the demo, a background check is conducted and the contract is offered if the teacher passes the background check.
Teachers should take note that it will take up to two business days to process each step. Due to this, they should practice patience and wait for any communication from the company.
Tips for the Magic Ears Interview
Even as the interview process is simple and easy, it may sound daunting for new teachers who haven’t tried teaching online yet. Due to this, we came up with a list of tips to remember while going through the Magic Ears interview process.
Here are the tips:
- Invest in a good lamp to ensure your teaching area is well-lighted. It’ll also be useful when you conduct classes in the future
- Smile during the interview and the demo class. It’ll go a long way in building rapport with the interviewer.
- Double-check your internet connection before the interview schedule
- Teach with passion or be energetic during the demo.
- Prepare props for the demo. Since you’ll be given the lesson materials to use for the demo ahead of time, prepare your own props.
- Use a lot of total physical response (TPR) to ensure your students will understand what you’re showing or telling them.
These are just some tips you can consider when you’re preparing for a Magic Ears interview.
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Smith, Jennifer Booker (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 134 Pages - 03/31/2016 (Publication Date)
What is the Work Schedule Like?
The teachers are actually given the freedom to choose their own schedule. Magic Ears does not even require a minimum number of classes to teach each month. All the teachers need to do is plot the slots when they’re available.
But teaching more classes means more payments. This is particularly true of the teachers who teach during peak hours. The peak hours are as follows:
- Monday to Friday – 6:30 PM to 9:00 PM (Beijing time)
- Saturday and Sunday – 10:00 AM to 11:30 AM (Beijing time)
If the teachers have at least 60 open slots during peak hours in a month, they receive a bonus for each of these classes.
You should also take note that new teachers will have three set slots available for their first ten classes. These slots are as follows:
- 7:30 PM to 8:00 PM (Beijing time)
- 8:00 PM to 8:30 PM (Beijing time)
- 8:30 PM to 9:00 PM (Beijing time)
After the first ten classes, the teachers will have more slots available to them.
The Magic Ears Teaching Platform
The Magic Ears teaching platform is more than just an English teaching company. It also offers free training for its teachers who want to improve their craft. Moreover, aspiring teachers who don’t have an ESL/TEFL certificate can get one through the accredited TESOL course of the company.
So, Magic Ears is a good option for anyone looking to become an online ESL teacher. The company also offers high rates, which is another benefit the teachers can receive when they teach at Magic Ears.
The Takeaway on Magic Ears
If you’re still looking for an English teaching company offering high rates, then you should seriously consider signing up with Magic Ears. It’s a solid company with great pay and hours and most teachers, as well as students are quite happy with their experience there.
Magic Ears ESL Teaching Platform: Join the Conversation
What are your thoughts about this online teaching company? Is it a winner, or do you have another one that you’d like to recommend? Please leave a comment below and let us know what you think. We’d love to hear from you.
Also, be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other online ESL teachers, like yourself find this useful resource.
Last update on 2022-07-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API