Many online English teaching companies are based in Asia. But there are a few that are based in Europe with TwoSigmas that even has its main headquarters located in the university town of Cambridge in England. Let’s take a look at the company based in the country where the English language came from. Keep on reading for requirements, jobs, salary range, reviews and more for Two Sigmas ESL.
What is TwoSigmas ESL?
TwoSigmas was established in 2013 and was originally an EdTech company that developed the Whiteboard, a teaching environment to help teachers conduct lessons online. The technology allowed lessons to be delivered to learners all over the world.
In 2018, the company launched its own system to recruit teachers and track applicants for schools. Now, it’s acting as a middleman between qualified teachers and its partner schools. This makes the interview and application process for an online English teaching job easier for both the teacher and the school.
What are the Requirements to Teach at TwoSigmas?
While TwoSigmas does not employ the teachers directly, they still have some requirements that are similar to the requirements of online English teaching schools. This is similar to FirstFuture. These requirements are as follows:
- Bachelor’s degree from any field of study or course.
- Teaching license or ESL teaching certificates, such as TESOL, TEFL, or CELTA
- A neutral accent for spoken English and can speak at an idiomatic level
- Legally allowed to work in the United States, the UK, Canada, or Australia
- High energy and enthusiastic teaching style to encourage student interaction
If you don’t have a BA, then consider the following options: Online tutoring jobs no degree.
Since the company does not employ the teachers directly, it doesn’t have any specific technical requirements. Instead, these technical requirements come from their partner schools.
The basic technical requirements of some partner schools are:
- Desktop, laptop, Surface tablet, or a Mac with a camera
- Headset with a microphone
- Fast and stable internet connection
- Some schools require a Skype account to connect with the students
How Much does Two Sigmas Pay?
TwoSigmas does not pay the teachers directly. Instead, the partner schools where the teachers will work in will provide the payment for their services.
The payment can range from $5 to $40 USD per hour. The higher the pay, the more requirements the partner school will have.
Bonuses and Incentives
Similar to the pay, you will receive bonuses from the partner schools of TwoSigmas. These bonuses are performance-based, which means if you perform well, you’ll receive a bonus or incentive from the school.
The partner schools of TwoSigmas include Whales English, Mang Ge, Multiglot, coLanguage, and ZebraEnglish.
How do you get Paid?
Payments depend on the school where the teachers end up working in. These payment methods include:
- Direct bank transfer to a Chinese or European Bank (depending on the location of the school)
- Through PayPal
- Through Payoneer
The teachers are also paid weekly, biweekly, or monthly depending on the payment schedule of the partner school of TwoSigmas.
TwoSigmas Contracts and Taxes
The contracts of the teachers depend on the partner school they end up with. Some schools have no contract while others required the teachers to commit at least 12 months with the school.
The teachers are considered as independent contractors, they are responsible for reporting and paying their taxes in their respective countries.
What’s the Recruiting Process Like for TwoSigmas?
Even though the teachers are employed by the partner schools of TwoSigmas, they still go through a recruitment process with the company. The process is as follows:
- The teachers select if they want to work online or onsite.
- After selecting where they will work, the teachers can select the company they will work for and upload their resume. Then, TwoSigmas will send their information to the partner school.
- From there, the partner school will decide whether to go through with the process or not. But TwoSigmas will provide the necessary support during the interview process.
- Online English teaching companies typically have similar interview protocols. This means you’ll go through a demo class to check your teaching skills and abilities. Moreover, you’ll also be given materials for a mock class in case you pass the first part of the interview.
- TwoSigmas will also help you find other jobs in case you’re not accepted in the first school you sent your application to.
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Bolen, Jackie (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 123 Pages - 04/13/2020 (Publication Date)
Tips for the Interview
Applying for a job in an online English teaching school means you have to put your best foot forward all the time. This is particularly true when it comes to the initial interview since first impressions last. Due to this, you may want to consider the following tips before you apply for your first online English teaching job:
- Watch videos showing how teachers handle a demo class. Take notes and apply them in your own demo class.
- Make sure your background is neither boring nor distracting. It should be enough to attract attention, but not distract the interviewer.
- As they say, always put your best foot forward and try to engage the interviewer through exaggerated gestures, which you may need when you teach young children
- Use props to make the lessons easier during the demo and mock class.
What is the Work Schedule Like?
The work schedule is determined by the school that hires you. But many of the partner schools of TwoSigmas are based in China. Due to this, you may expect the work schedule to be as follows:
- Monday to Friday – 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM (Beijing time)
- Saturday and Sunday – 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM (Beijing time)
But there may also be instances when you’ll be hired by a European school. All you need to do is to check the schedule of the school on its website.
The number of hours you should commit will also depend on the school. Some have a minimum number of hours you should teach each week or each month. On the other hand, other schools may give you the freedom on how much time you can commit to teaching.
The TwoSigmas Teaching Platform
One thing you should keep in mind is that TwoSigmas is not an actual teaching company. Instead, it’s a recruitment company that connects teachers with schools. It is ideal for teachers who are not quite knowledgeable about different online English teaching schools around the world.
What’s more, the company provides the necessary support to the teachers when they’re looking for a suitable school they can work with. The company also has a platform where the teachers may provide private lessons to individual students. The platform can also be used by the schools to interview the teachers.
The Takeaway on TwoSigmas
If you have no idea where to send your application, you may want to try applying through TwoSigmas and let them help you find a suitable school you can work with. They are a solid recruiting agency with a good reputation.
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Smith, Jennifer Booker (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 133 Pages - 03/31/2016 (Publication Date)
Have your Say about Two Sigmas Online Teaching Platform
Please let us know what you think about this popular recruiting agency based in Europe with any reviews that you might have. We’d love to hear from you.
Also, be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other busy English teachers, like yourself find this useful resource.
Last update on 2021-02-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API