Many online English teaching companies only require their teachers to be native speakers of the language. But some companies are quite specific about where their teachers are legally allowed to work. One of these companies is VIPKid. Keep on reading to find out more about VIP Kid’s job requirements, salary, interview process, demo lesson, teacher reviews, and more.
What is VIPKid?
Established in 2013, VIPKid is an online teaching company based in Beijing, China. Its students are children from China between the ages of four and twelve years. It uses a flopped-classroom approach for its curriculum to encourage critical thinking skills and creativity among the students.
Aside from being native English speakers, the teachers are also Bachelor’s degree holders and are legally allowed to work in Canada or the United States. If you don’t meet these strict requirements, then you may want to consider Magic Ears, Q Kid, GogoKid or DaDaABC instead.
What are the Requirements to Teach at VIPKid?
A common question that people have is whether or not you need a degree for VIPKid. The short answer is that you do need a degree to teach with this company. As far as we can tell, they do verify degrees before hiring teachers.
Online English teaching companies have their own set of requirements before you can work for them. VIPKid has a set of non-negotiable requirements that you must meet before you can use their platform. These requirements are as follows:
- Bachelor’s degree from any major or field (the degree can be from any college or university around the world). Haven’t gone to university? Check this out: Online teaching jobs no degree.
- At least a two-year teaching experience with kids, including tutoring, mentoring, and coaching kids. You don’t technically need formal teaching experience for VIPKids, but you should have some experience with children.
- Can legally work in Canada or the United States (If you’re from the Philippines, instead consider tutoring with 51Talk)
The only exception is the residents of the state of California due to Assembly Bill 5 of the California Labor Law, which took effect on January 1, 2020. VIPKids will not hire anyone from that state.
Even though the teachers should be legally allowed to work in Canada or the United States, they can actually work anywhere in the world just as long as they meet the technical requirements, which we will discuss in the next section.
Aside from the professional requirements of the teachers, VIPKid also has the following tech requirements:
- Desktop, laptop, Microsoft Surface Tab, iPad, MacBook (take note that VIPKid does not support the Chromebook) with a camera and microphone (top picks here: best teacher webcams)
- Intel i5 processor with a RAM of at least 8GB
- Windows 7 and up; Mac OS 10.X and up (VIPKid does not support the Chrome OS or Linux)
- Stable internet connection with a speed of at least 25 Mbps
- VIPKid Teaching application
Similar to other online teaching platforms like TwoSigmas, VIPKid also has its own teaching application. The VIPKid teaching application allows the teaches to use animation, virtual stickers, and sound effects during the classes. It makes the lessons fun and interactive for both the teachers and the students.
How Much does VIPKid Pay?
The teachers of VIPKid are paid based on the number of hours they put in for work. With a base pay of $7 to $9 USD per 25-minute class, a VIPKid teacher can earn around $14 to $18 USD per hour. This doesn’t include yet the bonuses and incentives the teacher will receive.
The base pay is determined by the demo class, qualifications, and experience of the teacher. A teacher with a flawless demo class, notable qualifications, and impressive experience will get a higher base pay compared to new teachers who may have things to work on their teaching skills.
However, teachers who have been with the company for at least a year can hold higher positions. These positions include a local leader, brand ambassador, or mock class mentor. These positions allow the teachers to earn around $28 to $30 USD per hour.
Bonuses and Incentives
Similar to other online English teaching companies, VIPKid also offers bonuses and incentives for its teachers. Some of these bonuses and incentives are as follows:
- Extra $2 USD per short notice class or classes opened within 24 hours of teaching them.
- A tiered bonus system starting with an additional $0.80 USD per finished class for the first 20 classes.
- $5 USD trial student sign-up incentive for teaching trial classes to students who later sign up with VIPKid
- $100 teacher referral incentive for every teacher who successfully becomes a part of VIPKid.
Some teachers may find the bonus and incentive program of VIPKid wanting, but several VIPKid teachers are earning $2,000 to $3,000 USD every month.
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Bolen, Jackie (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 123 Pages - 04/13/2020 (Publication Date)
How do you get Paid?
Payments are transferred directly to the bank account of the teachers. Some teachers also opt to receive their payments through PayPal. The teachers are given the freedom to choose which payment method they want to use.
The teachers can also decide when they can receive the payment. They can opt for weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly payments. The payments are typically sent on the next payment period.
VIPKid Contracts and Taxes
VIPKid teachers sign a six-month contract. While there is no minimum or a maximum number of classes a teacher can teach, they must inform the company two weeks ahead of any extended time off the teacher is planning while the contract is in effect.
VIPKid teachers are considered as individual contractors. Due to this, it’s their responsibility to pay the taxes themselves since the company does not withhold the taxes from their pay.
What’s the Recruiting Process Like?
Even as some applicants consider the recruiting process of VIPKid to be challenging, it’s actually straightforward and similar to the process following by other online English teaching companies.
The following is the recruiting process of VIPKid:
- Form and Requirements – Filling in basic information on an online application form. This is where VIPKid screens applicants for their basic requirements and teaching experience.
- Interview and Demo Class – After filling in the form and passing the requirements, you will go through an interview. The interview is either one-on-one or recorded. Then, you can showcase your skills through a demo class, which is either in front of a recruiter or recorded. The VIPKid interview process is a serious one so don’t underestimate it and certainly prepare for it well.
- Introduction to VIPKid – after passing the interview and demo class, you’ll be introduced to the VIPKid curriculum, standards, and technology. So, you’ll be watching videos about the company and ESL teaching in general.
- Mock Class – after being introduced to the company and its way of teaching English, you’ll be conducting a full mock class with one of the teachers at VIPKid.
- Contract Signing – once you pass the mock class, you’ll be asked to sign the contract and upload your documents. A complete background check is then conducted to ensure you comply with the standards of the company. After the check, you’ll create your profile on the website to let the parents and students know about you and book a class.
- Fill in Time Slots – Once your profile is finalized, you can put in the time slots you’re available and the students can start booking classes with you.
Tips for the Interview
The interview process can be quite overwhelming, especially for new teachers. So, we rounded up some tips you can think about while preparing for your application to VIPKid.
- Check online videos – one way to prepare is to know what other people did in their interview. Due to this, you can look for videos online of teachers conducting a demo class and passing a similar interview.
- Be energetic – since the recruiters will likely act as the students of VIPKid, it’s always good for you to be energetic to get the “student” interested in the lesson.
- Be animated – being animated during the mock class and ensuring the “student” understands you is another thing you should remember. This will catch their attention, which is a step towards giving the lesson you have for the day.
- Nail the timing – not ending the lesson too early or extending it too long is important. Since you may not find this easy to do on your first try, it’s important to practice before the interview and mock class itself.
- Background and props – have a nice background that is neither too boring nor distracting to the “student.” Moreover, you should also use some props to catch and keep the attention of your ward.
These are just some of the tips you should consider before you go to your interview with VIPKid.
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Smith, Jennifer Booker (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 133 Pages - 03/31/2016 (Publication Date)
What is the Work Schedule Like?
Each class takes around 25 minutes to finish and there is no minimum number of hours a teacher should teach each month. But remember that your payment is based on your class time. So, the more classes you have, the bigger your pay.
While you can set your schedule, getting booked for a class depends on the availability of the students. But there are peak times when you will likely get booked for a class. The peak times are between 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM Beijing time.
The VIPKid Teaching Platform
Similar to other online English teaching platforms, VIPKid has its platform where teachers and students meet for the classes. VIPKid prides itself on having the best teachers in the industry, so if you’re planning to become a part of the company, you should always put your best foot forward.
The Takeaway on VIPKid
If you’re a native English speaker who is legally allowed to work in Canada or the United States, then VIPKid should be one of the online teaching platforms you should consider. It has some great reviews from both teachers and students and it’s certainly one of the most popular platforms in the world.
Find out what other English teachers are saying about this company before getting started yourself. Here are some of the most informative reviews to check out:
Have your Say about Teaching Experiences with VIP Kid
Do you have any VIPKid reviews that you’d like to share with us? Please leave a comment below and let us know what you think about this company. We’d love to hear from you.
Also, be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other busy teachers, like yourself find this useful resource.
Last update on 2020-10-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API