Teaching English online is a great way for teachers to experience a change of pace in their professional careers. It’s also a great way for stay-at-home parents or recent graduates to earn during their free time. The first step to teaching online is choosing an English teaching platform that suits you such as 51Talk.
Choosing a platform may be challenging due to the numerous options available in the market. In this situation, you may want to consider a company that has been in the market for nearly a decade. In fact, there is one English teaching company that is listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE).
Interested? Check out the company below.
What is 51Talk?
Established in 2011, 51Talk has been in the English teaching industry for nearly a decade. It was started by Jack Huang who recognized the importance of properly teaching conversational English in China. The company provided high-quality English online education to Chinese students given by teachers all over the world.
The company initially limited its teachers to native English speakers. But it has shifted to hiring teachers who have a neutral accent even if they’re not native speakers of the language. While the company is hiring mainly teachers from the Philippines, it is also open to hiring teachers from other countries.
The company announced its initial public offering on the NYSE in 2016. Using the ticker symbol COE for China Online Education Group, 51Talk is the biggest and fastest-growing English teaching platform in China.
What are the Requirements to Teach at 51Talk?
The following are the requirements 51Talk has for its teachers:
- Bachelor’s degree
- English speaking proficiency with a neutral accent
- Proof of graduation or valid diploma
- Government-issued ID
- NBI clearance (for Philippine citizens)
- BPI Savings account (for Philippine citizens)
- Preferably with English teaching experience to foreigners or young learners
- Preferably with a professional teacher’s license or English-teaching certificates, such as TEFL or TESOL
- Enthusiastic and has a passion for teaching.
- Available during the peak hours
In the past, the company required the teachers to be native English speakers. This is similar to most other companies like QKids. Nowadays, they are accepting teachers who are proficient in spoken English as long as they have a neutral accent.
Moreover, the company has focused on recruiting teachers from the Philippines. But they also accept teachers from other countries as long as they meet the requirements.
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Bolen, Jackie (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 169 Pages - 04/13/2020 (Publication Date)
The technical requirements of 51Talk are somewhat strict, particularly with the processor of the computer. Check out the technical requirements below:
- Desktop or laptop with at least a Windows 7 OS or equivalent Mac OS
- Processor: Sixth-generation Intel Core i3 processor or fourth-generation i5 or i7 processor or AMD Ryzen processor/AMD A Series A8 7500
- At least 4GB of RAM and 100GB hard disk space available
- Headset with noise-canceling features and extended microphone
- External or integrated high-definition (720p resolution) webcam
- 5 Mbps wired DSL connection
- Quiet, well-lighted, and clean teaching area with a simple white background
If you don’t have a computer, then consider going with PalFish or NiceTalk that only require a smartphone or tablet.
How Much does 51Talk Pay?
When it comes to the pay, 51Talk offers a rather low rate. The hourly rate is between PHP100 or around $2.00 USD and PHP150 or around $3.00 USD per hour. Earnings are based on how many lessons a teacher has successfully conducted together with the performance of the teacher. With this, you’ll earn more if you conduct more classes.
Even as teachers can earn up to PHP80,000 or around $1,650 USD every month, this may involve putting in a lot of overtime and getting a lot of incentives.
Realistically, teachers may earn around PHP26,400 or around $550 USD per month if they only work a regular eight-hour, five-day-a-week schedule. But this figure doesn’t include yet the bonuses and incentives the teachers may receive.
The pay is slightly lower than other companies such as VIPKids, DaDa ABC, or GoGo Kids.
Bonuses and Incentives
While the hourly rate may be low, 51Talk does offer several incentives and bonuses for its teachers to allow them to earn more. These bonuses and incentives include the following:
- Referral rewards
- Increase per lesson rate depending on upskilling and certifications
- Other rewards programs
In addition to the bonuses and incentives, having more students will also increase their earnings. With this in mind, the teachers can open teaching slots during peak hours since more students are looking for teachers at these times.
How do you get Paid?
51Talk pays its teachers through direct bank deposits. Filipino teachers are required to have a BPI Savings account where their earnings are deposited. Similarly, payments to citizens of other countries are done through direct bank deposits.
51Talk Contracts and Taxes
The company requires its teachers to sign a one-year contract. At the end of the contract, teacher performance is evaluated to determine if the teacher can sign another contract. It will also check for additional skills the teacher acquired since it will determine whether the teacher will get a higher rate or not.
Similar to other English teaching companies, 51Talk also considers its teachers are independent contractors. Due to this, they are responsible for reporting and paying taxes in their respective jurisdictions.
What’s the Recruiting Process Like?
If you have all the requirements of 51Talk, you can start your journey to the online English teaching world by following the process below:
- Sign-up – Sign up on the website of 51Talk. Make sure you fill in the application form completely.
- Initial interview – You can expect a 51Talk staff to give you a call within 24 to 48 hours after you completed the application form. The staff member will check how you handle conversations and ask basic information about you. You should also provide a Skype ID for a later assessment.
- Technical Check – After passing the first interview, the company will check your equipment. It will be conducted through Skype and they will check your internet speed and the RAM of your computer.
- Training – Once you pass the technical check, your training will start. You will be introduced to the system, Chinese culture, and basic teaching techniques. The training is particularly useful for teachers who don’t have any experience yet.
- Teaching Demo – Similar to other English teaching companies, you will also go through a teaching demo. The demo will check your teaching and student management skills as well as how familiar you are to the system.
Once you pass the demo, you can start opening your schedule so the students can start booking lessons with you. Use the lesson plans provided by 51Talk in your teaching sessions with the students.
Tips for the Interview
Acing an interview may be the goal of anyone applying for an English teaching job. You may want to check out the following tips we listed to help you pass the interview with flying colors.
- Look for a quiet place to take the call. When taking a call from 51Talk, it’s best for you to look for a quiet and comfortable place where you will have minimal interruptions.
- Prepare yourself. Preparation is the key to a good interview. Make sure to speak in English since you’re applying for an English teaching job. Prepare your introduction and talk about any experiences you may have related to the job.
- Prepare your equipment. Make sure your computer or laptop is up and running. Check your internet connection. Prepare your headset and the microphone.
- Be Attentive. Actively listen to the interviewer during the interview. Focus on any questions the interviewer may have and answer them properly and precisely.
- Be enthusiastic and confident. You should be confident and enthusiastic when talking with the interviewer. You should also be clear and deliberate when you speak. Avoid stuttering when you’re answering any of the interviewer’s questions.
What is the Work Schedule Like?
Even as you can have the freedom to set your schedule, you’re still required to be available during the peak hours of the platform. The peak hours are as follows:
- Monday to Friday: 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM Beijing time
- Saturday and Sunday: 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM Beijing time
Making yourself available during peak hours also allows you to earn more since most of the students are looking for teachers at these times.
The 51Talk Teaching Platform
The 51Talk teaching platform has veered away from hiring only native English speakers. Instead, the company has set its sights on non-native speakers who have a neutral accent. With this, teachers from all over the world can consider applying for a job at 51Talk.
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Bolen, Jackie (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 87 Pages - 10/24/2019 (Publication Date)
The Takeaway on 51Talk
If you’re not a native English speaker, you should seriously consider applying for a job at 51Talk. It’s a solid company for online teaching that many tutors and teachers are very happy with. Check it out if you’re looking to make some extra cash in your spare time.
Have your Say about 51 Talk
What are your thoughts about this 51Talk review? Is it a winner for online teaching or do you have another company that you’d like to recommend? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think. We’d love to hear from you.
Also, be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other online English teachers, like yourself find this useful resource.
Last update on 2022-07-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API