Teaching English is a good way for native speakers of the language to earn money online. Many ESL companies require their teachers to be available at a certain time of the day. Due to this, some native English speakers would shy away from the profession since they want to have some flexibility when it comes to their schedule. That’s where a company like NiceTalk can come in. They make it easy to tutor students around the world with their easy to use app.
But some companies offer the flexibility they’re looking for. Interested? Continue reading and know more about Nice Talk, an ESL company that allows you to pick whatever schedule you want when teaching English.
What is NiceTalk?
Well, the company we’re talking about is NiceTalk. It is the first mobile English learning platform in China that allows students to instantly access English speakers through a one-on-one video chat. Established in 2015, adult learners are the main users of the platform.
As indicated above, the platform gives the teachers the freedom to choose when they can teach. It doesn’t require the teachers to work a minimum number of hours each week. The platform uses a log-in and talk system that is convenient to use by the teachers.
What are the Requirements to Teach at NiceTalk?
Similar to its flexibility to the schedule, the company is also flexible with its requirements since it also doesn’t have a long list that the teachers should meet. The following are the requirements you should meet if you want to teach at NiceTalk:
- Native English speaker – you should be able to prove that you’re a native English speaker or you come from a country where English is the native language
- Quiet working environment – this is a no-brainer since you need to make sure you can engage with your students without any distractions. So, make sure the environment is quiet without any background noise to distract you and your student.
- Preferably with TEFL/IELTS teaching experience or a TESOL/TEFL/CELTA certificate – while this isn’t a requirement, candidates with teaching experience or an English teaching certificate are preferred by the company.
Going through the requirements shows that the company is not too strict since it doesn’t require them to have a bachelor’s degree. For the full list, check this out: Teaching English online no degree.
The company doesn’t even require the teachers to teach a certain number of hours each week. They are similar to Palfish in terms of qualifications, expectations and tech requirements.
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Bolen, Jackie (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 123 Pages - 04/13/2020 (Publication Date)
Aside from the personal requirements, NiceTalk also has a couple of technical requirements. Similar to its requirements for its teachers, the technical requirements are not as stringent as other English teaching companies like DaDaABC, GoGoKids, or VIPkids.
The following are the technical requirements of NiceTalk.
- Android or iOS device – NiceTalk requires its teachers to download an app that will be used for the one-on-one classes with the students. It’s one of a few companies that doesn’t require its teachers to have a computer, laptop or webcam.
- Stable and fast internet speed – your internet connection should have at least a 300-kbps upload speed and a 500-kbps download speed.
- Updated iOS or Android operating system – the NiceTalk app is compatible with iOS and Android phones. But your mobile OS should be at least an iOS 7.0 or Android 4.0, whichever is applicable
NiceTalk is one of a few companies that doesn’t require its teachers to have a computer or laptop (unlike something like 51Talk). So, you can work anywhere as long as you have a high-speed internet connection and a quiet place to work in.
How Much does NiceTalk Pay?
While NiceTalk may offer flexibility for its teachers, the pay is not that high though. The company offers an hourly pay of $10 USD. Despite this, you can also look forward to getting paid by the minute. So, if you’re talking to a paying NiceTalk student for 36 minutes, you’ll get paid for 36 minutes.
Bonuses and Incentives
When NiceTalk first started, the company offered bonuses for good performance and referrals. But it appears these bonuses are not listed on the website anymore.
Despite this, the teachers can still look forward to a couple of perks. These perks include flexible work hours where they work at their own schedule, the teachers can also work anywhere, and the system has a simple and easy signup process.
How do you get Paid?
Payments are made through PayPal. So, if you don’t have an account with this online payment processor, you can sign up for free. Once you have an account, you should verify the confirmation link sent by the company to your email associated with PayPal.
Payments are made weekly as long as the teachers have a balance of at least $20 USD. Due to this, the teachers should work at least two hours each week so they will receive something on their account.
The cutoff for the weekly payments is every Monday at 3:00 AM (GMT +8). The teachers can expect the payments in their accounts within three to four business days.
NiceTalk Contracts and Taxes
Even as it wasn’t indicated specifically on the website, NiceTalk likely considers its teachers as independent contractors similar to other companies. In this situation, the teachers have the responsibility of reporting their earnings and pay taxes to their respective tax authorities.
What’s the Recruiting Process Like?
As indicated earlier, the interview process of NiceTalk is simple and easy. The following are the steps in the interview process of NiceTalk:
- Create an account on the website – The first step is simply to register and create a NiceTalk account on the website.
- Download the NiceTalk app into your mobile device – The app is available in iOS and Android versions and can be downloaded from the website. It’s also available on Google Play.
- Record a video – The video is used to evaluate the teacher since it will be reviewed by the staff of NiceTalk. They will use it as the basis for accepting or declining an application.
- Send the video for evaluation – After recording the video, sending it to the company is the next logical step. The video allows NiceTalk to check the English proficiency of the applicant.
- Complete the profile – The teacher should complete all the details on your profile. Aside from your personal details, you would need to add whatever certificates you received related to the position.
- Wait for the Approval – At this point, you’ll just have to wait for the approval of your account. Once it’s approved, you can log in and start teaching.
The process doesn’t appear to have a face-to-face interview since the company will likely base the evaluation on the profile and video.
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Bolen, Jackie (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 143 Pages - 10/24/2019 (Publication Date)
Tips for the Interview
The interview process may be quite straightforward, but there are some things you should consider to increase your chances of getting hired by NiceTalk. The following are some tips to think about when you apply to become a NiceTalk teacher.
- When recording the video, always remember to be at your best since it will determine whether or not you’ll be accepted into NiceTalk.
- Before recording the video, you can practice in front of a mirror. You can also record several versions and choose the best one to send to the company,
- Since having a TESOL/TEFL/CELTA certificate is preferred by the company, getting one will increase your chances of getting approved.
- Make sure to fill in all the necessary details on your profile since it will be a factor on whether or not you’re accepted into NiceTalk.
What is the Work Schedule Like?
The work schedule depends on the schedule of the teacher. Since the platform is open 24/7, the teachers can work anytime.
Similar to other English teaching companies, there are likely peak hours where a lot of students are logging in looking for a teacher. In this situation, the teacher will likely have a bigger chance of working with a student when they’re available during peak hours.
The teachers can opt to set their availability in two ways:
- Direct Call Mode – In this mode the teachers allow the students to schedule appointments with them. This means the students will call the teacher directly instead of letting the system choose the teacher. This mode allows the teachers to ensure they’ll have a student waiting for them when they log in.
- Random Call Mode – In this mode, the teacher will be matched with a student depending on the availability and ratings of the teacher. New teachers normally use this mode since they have yet to build rapport with the students.
The NiceTalk Teaching Platform
The NiceTalk teaching platform appears to be simple and straightforward. It doesn’t require the teachers to have a desktop or laptop to teach. This makes the platform ideal for teachers who love to travel.
As long as the teachers find a good internet connection and a quiet place to teach from, then they’re all set to work as a NiceTalk teacher.
The Takeaway on NiceTalk
If you’re looking for a straightforward English teaching company, then you should definitely consider applying at NiceTalk. It’s a solid option for doing online tutoring.
Have your Say about this App for ESL Chatting
What do you think about this company as an option for teaching online? Is it a winner, or do you have another company that you’d like to recommend to us? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think. We’d love to hear from you.
Also, be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other busy English teachers, like yourself who are interested in teaching English online find this useful resource.
Last update on 2021-01-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API