Teaching English online is a great option for people who are fluent in the language. This is particularly true for native speakers who can make money by simply teaching non-English speakers the language they grew up with. One of the top online teaching companies to consider is DaDaABC.
At this point, you may already be searching the internet for online English teaching companies. Well, look no further since we’ll be giving you an inside look at one of these companies.
What is DaDaABC?
The name of the company is Dada ABC or simply Dada. Established in 2013, it is an online English education platform and was initially called Dada ABC before June 2018. Based out of Shanghai, China, the company is a partner of several prestigious learning centers and publishers, including National Geographic Learning, McGraw-Hill Education, Pearson Education, Highlights, and Oxford University Press.
What are the Requirements to Teach at DaDaABC?
DaDa ensures all the applicants can deliver high-quality lessons to their students. Due to this, the basic requirements of the teaching platform are as follows:
- Native English speakers (preference given to teachers living in the US, Canada, the UK, New Zealand, and Australia). If you’re from the Philippines, you may want to consider 51Talk. More details here: 51Talk Review.
- Bachelor’s degree
- One-year teaching experience
- Teaching certificate, such as TEFL, TESOL, or CELTA, among others
- Proof of documents showing teaching experience
- Supporting documents showing a non-criminal background
- Can commit to teaching at least four hours each week
Don’t have a degree? Check out these companies instead: Teaching English online no degree.
Similar to other online jobs, Dada also has several technical requirements its teachers should comply with. These technical requirements are as follows:
- Computer with a webcam (preference given to HD cameras)
- Headset with microphone
- Stable internet connection (preference given to wired connections)
- Google Chrome browser or the DaDa software
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Bolen, Jackie (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 123 Pages - 04/13/2020 (Publication Date)
How Much does DaDaABC Pay?
The pay range at DaDaABC is between $15 to $25 USD per hour, but many teachers earn around $16 to $20 USD per hour. There are even others who earn around $17 to $18 USD per hour. Moreover, DaDaABC also has a base pay of $370 USD at the start of your teaching career with the company when you don’t have many classes, which is normally for the first two months.
Your pay range is normally based on the initial application, the demo class and the training, and the bonus and incentives.
Bonuses and Incentives
DaDaABC does offer some bonuses and incentives to its teachers. These bonuses are as follows:
- Trial class conversion bonus of $7 USD for every successful student or referral sign up
- A finished class incentive of $1 USD per class
- Regular student bonus of 30 percent of the base pay
- Step bonus for every additional hour you work per month of up to $7 USD per hour
- Higher performance teachers’ bonus of up to three percent of the base pay and the step bonus
- Teacher referral bonus of $100 USD for each successful teacher applicant
- Other bonuses: Cancellation subsidy, substitute bonus, etc.
How do you get Paid?
The payments are done through direct bank deposits. Some teachers also opt to receive their payment through PayPal. These payment options normally have their respective fees and normally take two to five business days to complete.
The payment schedule is every 15th of the month.
DaDaABC Contracts and Taxes
While DaDaABC doesn’t have any limits when it comes to the agreements and contracts, the teachers are advised to a consistent six-month contract. This will facilitates building a good relationship between the teacher and the students.
The company has a standard contract, but it does have one section stating that if the teacher cancels too many classes, a deduction is made on the pay. If the teacher wants to take a short break, it’s best to apply for the break around 24 hours before the break itself. For long-term leaves of absence, 15-day advance notice is necessary.
Since DaDaABC considers the teachers are independent contractors, the company doesn’t pay the taxes for you. Instead, you should disclose your income to the proper authorities and pay taxes yourself. So, you should be familiar with the tax regulations in your country. This is similar to most other companies including Two Sigmas.
What’s the Recruiting Process Like?
The Recruiting Process of DaDaABC is as follows:
- Uploading of your resume or curriculum vitae (CV)
- Initial interview about your teaching experience, availability, and any questions you may have. At this point, a mock class is also conducted.
- Hardware and internet connection test
- System training
- Total Physical Response training
- Watching videos of qualified teachers
- Conducting a demo class
- Contract signing
- Start working
Tips for the Interview
The interview is quite crucial since the company will get to gauge your capabilities as a teacher. With this in mind, it might help if you consider the following tips for your future interview with DaDaABC.
- Practice your mock class together with the slides. You wouldn’t want to create a bad impression during your interview by fumbling throughout the mock class.
- Make sure your background is bright and cheerful. Avoid a simple white background since it may look too boring. Be creative and create a fun space for your potential students.
- Have suitable lighting ready and make sure you’re not distracted by anything in your work area.
- Double-check your internet connection. Make sure you get a wired connection, if possible.
- Use a headset with a good microphone. Make sure your webcam is working. An HD webcam is preferred.
- Smile for the camera. ESL companies normally hire teachers who can convey joy and happiness during the class.
- Speak slowly and give praise whenever appropriate.
- Check for any challenges the learners are encountering and check for understanding.
- Manage your time properly while keeping the interviewer or student engaged.
While these tips will help you nail the job and get a contract with DaDaABC, just remember to always put your best foot forward during the interview process.
What is the Work Schedule Like?
Even as the work schedule depends on the teacher, they should be willing to put in a minimum of 10 hours per month. This means you should work at least two hours a day for two days each week. The time slots available are as follows:
- Monday to Friday – 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM (Beijing Time)
- Saturday and Sunday: 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM, 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM, and 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM (Beijing Time)
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Smith, Jennifer Booker (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 133 Pages - 03/31/2016 (Publication Date)
The DaDaABC Teaching Platform
The DaDaABC teaching platform uses a one-on-one teacher-student pairing. It also provides the content the teachers use for their classes. Moreover, the company also uses its interactive learning platform to connect the teacher with the student.
The Takeaway on DaDaABC
If you’re a native English speaker looking for an ESL company that gives notable remuneration while giving you the freedom to choose your schedule, you may want to consider applying at DaDaABC. It’s one of the more popular online teaching platforms and certainly has great reviews from both students as well as teachers.
Before signing on the dotted line, find out what other teachers are saying about this company. Here are some of the most helpful reviews:
Have your Say about DaDa ABC Online English Teaching
What are your thoughts about teaching ESL with DaDaABC? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think about it. We’d love to hear from you.
Also, be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other English teachers, like yourself find this useful resource.
Last update on 2021-08-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API