If you’re looking for some of the top debate topics, then you’re certainly in the right place. Keep on reading for good/interesting topics, political and controversial things to talk about, funny/silly ones and a whole lot more. Keep reading for all the detail you need to know!
Good Debate Topics
Check out some of the best debate topics to consider using in class.
- All kids should have to do chores.
- All students should have to wear school uniforms.
- Marijuana should be legalized.
- Online education is inferior to in-person.
- Beauty pageants objectify women.
- Cigarettes should be banned in public places.
- Homework should be banned in schools.
- Same-sex marriage should be legal.
- Fast-food contributes to obesity
- My government should invest heavily in green energy.
- Feminism does more harm than good.
- The minimum wage should be increased.
- Consumerism is rampant and does a lot of harm.
Funny/Silly Debating Topics
There are lots of funny and silly debate topics to consider, some of them slightly more serious than others. Have some fun with your students!
- Which gender is better?
- Reality TV is harmful to society.
- Children should have the right to vote.
- School lunches are basically junk food.
- Children should have to work for their allowance.
- Dance is not really a sport.
- Smartphones are making up stupid.
- Cats are better pets than dogs.
- Being really tall is better than being really short.
- Mcdonald’s is the best fast food restaurant.
- Summer is better than winter.
- Living forever would be terrible.
- Clowns are scary.
- Pizza is better than pasta.
- The Earth might actually be flat.
- Life is easy when you’re beautiful.
Political Debate Topics
If you want to talk politics, here are some of the top ideas:
- We have no need for the monarchy these days.
- People should be allowed to own guns.
- Churches should have to pay the full amount of tax.
- Illegal immigrants should be removed immediately from my country.
- Automatic weapons should be banned.
- Patriotism is a good thing.
- Political organizations shouldn’t be allowed to take money from corporations.
- The death penalty should be banned.
- Abortion is a right for all women.
- Genetically modified foods are dangerous.
Controversial Debating Topics
There are a number of controversial dating topics that you might want to consider using with your students. Here are some of my favourites.
- Zoos should be banned.
- Alcohol should only be sold during very limited hours.
- Animal testing should be banned.
- Children shouldn’t play violent video games.
- Children shouldn’t be allowed to bring devices to school.
- Homeless people should be given free housing by the government.
- We don’t need affirmative action these days.
- Junk food should be banned in schools.
- Gay couples should be allowed to adopt children.
- The sale of fur should be banned.
- Birth control should be free and easily accessible for everyone, including teenagers.
- Unions are no longer necessary.
- Public prayer should be banned in schools.
- Going vegan is the only way to save our world.
Interesting Debate Topics
There are lots of interesting debate topics to consider using with your students. Here are some of the top ones to consider.
- Social media is harmful.
- The USA is no longer the world’s superpower.
- Racism is a huge problem in the USA right now.
- Cloning animals will lead to cloning humans.
- The government should ban chewing gum.
- Sex education should be done at home, not in schools.
- Censorship in all forms is wrong.
- School lunches should be free.
- Parents should not be allowed to hit their children.
- The Olympics do more harm than good for a city.
- Aliens are real.
- It’s easier being a man than a woman.
College Debate Topics
If you teach college or university students, consider some of these debating topics.
- Global warming is the #1 issue facing our world these days.
- Nuclear weapons should be banned.
- China is more powerful than the US these days.
- Religion does more harm than good.
- Torture is never justified.
- We are too dependent on technology.
- College should be free.
- Student loans exploit young people.
- College is too expensive.
- Too many people attend college in my country.
There are a number of common questions that people have about debates. Here are the answers to some of the most common ones.
What is a Debate?
A debate is a process or activity that involves presenting arguments in support of a certain view. It often takes place in an academic institution, for political purposes or in courts of law. The goal is to cancel out the opposing viewpoint with solid proofs and arguments.
What are the Types of Debates?
There are four main types of debates, each with specific rules of conduct. Which one you choose depends on the purpose.
- Lincoln-Douglas Debate
- Rebuttal Debate
- Oregon-Oxford Debate
- One-Rebuttal Debate
What is the Purpose of Debate?
The purpose or goal of a debate is to convince people of your particular viewpoint about a certain topic using logic, proofs or arguments. It can be just for fun such as in a classroom setting, or high-stakes like in a political debate between candidates.
What Skills Does Debate Teach?
There are numerous skills that debate can teach, including higher-order critical thinking skills, as well as teaching students how to organize and structure their thoughts and arguments. It can sharpen research and note-taking skills, as well as give practice with eloquent speaking.
How do you Start a Debate Class?
It’s common to start a debate class off by introducing the topic or resolution. Then, affirm that there are both positive and negative sides to any debate. After that, assign sides and give some time for research and forming arguments. Finally, allow students to engage in the debate, following the rules of order.
Have your Say about Top Debating Topics
Do you have any recommendations for advice for more good debate topics? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think about it. We’d love to hear from you.
Also, be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other people, like yourself who are interested in the top debate topics find this useful resource.