Flyswatter: An ESL Vocabulary Game for Kids
Time: 5-10 minutes
Materials: Whiteboard, 2 flyswatters
Flyswatter is a fun ESL vocabulary game for kids that can really energize your class at the end of a long day or semester. It makes an excellent way to review any new vocabulary that you’ve taught or as a warm-up at the beginning of the next class.
Write the target words on the board in a random fashion. You can use 10-20 depending on the age and level of students. Divide the students into two teams. One person from each team comes up to the whiteboard and each person is given a flyswatter. Give hints to describe one of the words and the first student to hit the word with the flyswatter gets a point for his/her team. If two students go for a word at the same time, the one on the bottom of the flyswatter stack gets the point. If a student makes an incorrect choice, he/she is out (no second chances). I usually start with a very general hint and progress to more specific ones where the answer is quite obvious. It’s up to the student whether or not he/she wants to risk it and guess before the answer is apparent to everyone.
1. Divide students into two teams.
2. Write 10-20 vocabulary words on the whiteboard in random fashion.
3. The first two students come to the board and are each given a flyswatter.
4. The teacher gives hints for one of the words, starting with general ones and getting more specific.
5. The student hits the word with his/her flyswatter when he/she knows the answer.
6. If correct, his/her team gets a point and the next two students come to the board. If incorrect, the other student is given a chance to guess the word and the teacher can give more hints if necessary. If both students are incorrect, both will sit down and neither team gets a point.
Like this ESL Vocabulary Game for Kids?
It’s from 39 ESL Vocabulary Activities: for Kids (7+). There are 38 more vocabulary activities for kids that will make your classes awesome and your lesson planning easy. Happy, engaged students, guaranteed!
You can click the link below to get the book on Amazon in both electronic and digital formats. The electronic version can be read on any smartphone, tablet, Mac, or PC by using the free Kindle app.