Teaching English online with a company like Open English is an excellent supplemental source of income. Many ESL teachers choose to do private tutoring or online teaching besides their full-time teaching job. If you haven’t taught English online before, Open English, Topica Native, Skyeng, and SkimaTalk are a few options for you to consider.
There is a great demand for online English teachers in 2022. With the outbreak of the pandemic, there has been a steady increase in the number of people moving their learning online. If you are a Native English speaker, getting an online teaching job becomes even more accessible. Companies like Open English only hire Native speakers. However, it is a highly competitive market, and it isn’t easy to make as much as a full-time job.
The requirements for working with Open English aren’t so strict. Most of the qualifications are preferred than required. However, applicants must be Native English speakers. Continue reading to learn about a great part-time teaching job opportunity. Let’s go over the complete Open English Reviews.
What is Open English?
Open English is an online English school founded in 2006 in Venezuela. The company moved to the United States in 2009 and is now based in Florida. It is one of the most renowned online schools in Latin America. More than 2,000 teachers taught over 600,000 students and helped them learn English as their second language.
Because there is a large number of Latin American students, it is one of the few companies where you can work for time zones and countries different from China. Also, Open English’s system avoids cancellation penalties. Thus, teachers can easily drop and swap shifts without paying any cost.
Unlike many other online schools, the downside is that the hiring process can be time-consuming. However, the application process itself is simple. Furthermore, the hourly wage of Open English isn’t the most competitive salary in the market. Yet, it can be the best online school option, depending on your needs.
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Bolen, Jackie (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 301 Pages - 12/21/2022 (Publication Date)
Requirements for Open English Jobs
A qualified applicant must:
- be a Native English speaker
- be 18 years or older
- have prior teaching experience
- be able to teach at least 10 hours a week
The two preferred but no required qualifications are:
- TEFL/TESOL certificate
- Bachelor’s degree
In most cases, a TEFL certificate increases the chance of getting an ESL teaching job anywhere. However, if you do not have one yet, it is strongly recommended to take a TEFL certification course.
Technical Requirements for Open English Jobs
As it is a remote teaching job, it is essential for teachers to have:
- a laptop or desktop computer
- a microphone
- a webcam
- strong internet connection
How Much Does Open English Pay?
The average salary ranges from $7-13 (USD) per hour. The highest pay known for a teacher from Open English is 15 USD per hour. It is much lower than what many Chinese or other Asian companies would pay. However, if you live outside of Asia, you will be able to teach more shifts because of the similar time zone.
What’s the Hiring Process Like at Open English?
Teachers have to complete the online application form. It will require teachers to upload the following list of documents.
- TEFL/TESOL Certificate (if applicable)
In addition, Open English will ask teachers to complete the following tasks:
- Speed test to check the internet connection
- A brief grammar test
- Enter teaching availability
Once the application review is complete, teachers might have to record a one-minute-long interview video. Don’t worry. You will have three chances to re-record the video.
What is the Work Schedule Like?
Teachers must teach a minimum of 10 hours and a maximum of 26 hours per week. Classes are available between 9 AM to 11 PM Eastern Standard Time (EST). The weekday evenings (4 PM to 11 PM EST) and all-day weekends are considered peak hours. Open English will pay more for teachers who work during this time.
Out of the minimum 10 hours of teaching time, 4 hours must be during the peak hours. However, Open English’s schedule can be pretty flexible compared to other online schools. Teachers can easily trade, drop, and pick up shifts. This amazing online school allows teachers to do two cancellations per month with absolutely no penalty. This is a significant difference from most other online English schools that penalize teachers for cancelling lessons.
Open English Online Teaching
If you teach ESL with Open English, you don’t have to worry about preparing the lesson materials. No curriculum preparation is required by the teachers because the company creates teaching resources in advance of the class.
However, passionate teachers are encouraged to bring in their own (or outside) class material if they are relevant and will enrich the student’s learning experience. In addition, there are plenty of ESL materials online that can be helpful for your online class.
The classes are 25 minutes, and each class begins at the hour and half-hour mark. Students can be either adults or children. This company offers both one-on-one lessons and small groups of four to five students.
Open English Review
In summary, it is excellent for teachers who want to teach outside of the Asian (mainly China) time zone, have flexibility in changing schedules, and moderate requirements.
FAQs About Open English ESL Teaching
Here is a quick guide to some commonly asked questions about OpenEnglish.
Is OpenEnglish legit?
Open English is a reliable online teaching platform based in the United States. It is one of the most popular online English schools in Latin America. Over the past 16 years, Open English taught more than 600,000 students.
How can I teach with Open English?
First, check the brief list of requirements. Then, if you are eligible, complete the application form online. Then, you will record a short interview video. Once selected, you will get full onboarding training and will be able to start your online teaching career.
How much do you earn on OpenEnglish?
On average, teachers make between $10-13 (USD) per hour. If you are looking for a higher salary, take a look at the list of well-paying TEFL jobs around the world.
Do you need a degree to teach on OpenEnglish?
A university degree is not required for teaching ESL with this online school. Although employers prefer a TEFL certificate and a bachelor’s degree, you do not need these to apply.
Is teaching English online worth it?
Teaching English online is worth it if you keep it as a side gig. However, the pay isn’t very competitive. There is a high chance you might not be making enough money out of teaching English online as a full-time job.
What are Some Pros and Cons of Teaching With Open English?
Pros of teaching online with platforms like Open English
- Flexibility: Online teaching allows for flexible scheduling, giving you the opportunity to choose the hours that work best for you.
- Global Reach: You can teach students from different countries and cultures without the need to travel, expanding your global reach as an English teacher.
- Convenient Work Environment: Teaching online allows you to work from the comfort of your own home or any location with a stable internet connection.
- Technological Resources: Online teaching platforms often provide digital resources, multimedia materials, and interactive tools to enhance the learning experience for both you and your students.
- Networking Opportunities: Teaching online can connect you with a diverse community of fellow teachers and professionals from around the world, providing opportunities for collaboration and learning.
Cons of teaching online with platforms like Open English
- Limited Physical Interaction: Teaching online means you won’t have face-to-face interaction with your students, which may result in less personal connection and non-verbal cues.
- Technical Challenges: Technical issues with internet connectivity, video conferencing software, or equipment can sometimes disrupt the teaching process.
- Time Zone Differences: Teaching online may require you to adapt to different time zones, which could mean early morning or late-night teaching sessions depending on your students’ locations.
- Potential for Distractions: Working from home or remotely can present distractions that may affect your productivity and focus.
- Dependency on Technology: Online teaching heavily relies on technology, and technical difficulties or platform issues can occasionally disrupt the teaching experience.
Teaching English Online with Open English Reviews: Join the Conversation
What are your thoughts on OpenEnglish? Is it the right choice for you, or do you have a better platform in mind? If you would rather teach ESL abroad in South American countries, consider Brazil and Argentina. Leave a comment below and let us know what you think. We would love to hear from you.
Last update on 2022-07-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API