Teaching English online with a company like Skyeng has become a new trend for teachers and students worldwide. However, some online teaching platforms have strict requirements that not all teachers can meet. It takes a lot of time to find a good online school. This is especially the case if you are not a native English speaker.
Sky Eng is the largest company teaching ESL online in Eastern Europe. Also, it is famous for hiring native and non-native English speakers as its teachers.
The growing trend provides online ESL teachers with numerous options of teaching platforms. A few examples are SkimaTalk, Open English, and SayABC. Read more and learn how you can teach ESL online with Skyeng. See if it is the right company for you!
What is Skyeng?
Skyeng is an online English school for one-on-one lessons. Teachers and students can connect from any place at any time. The lessons are all delivered in English, including the class materials. There are over 110,000 students and 11,000 teachers. Furthermore, they have 115 English courses with 100% English language materials.
The biggest downside of online learning is that you cannot experience the unique interaction during an in-person lesson. However, Skyeng does its best to minimize the disadvantage of online classes.
It keeps the best practices of the traditional school and implements all the advantages of online studying, including technology, flexibility, and accessibility.
Teachers have the freedom to choose the time and number of classes independently. In addition, Skyeng will provide modern digital tools to the teachers to save their time and effort in preparing for lessons.
Also, they guarantee ESL teachers’ professional growth by providing in-house webinars and masterclasses. Once you become an online English teacher at Skyeng, you will communicate with teachers from more than 75 countries.
What are the Requirements to Teach at Skyeng?
Many English teaching jobs require teachers to hold a passport from an English-speaking country. However, Skyeng hires non-native English speakers too. Your nationality or current location does not matter.
If you are a non-native English speaker with an excellent command of English, read more to learn about becoming an online teacher for this company.
- Properly accredited ESL certificate (TEFL/TESOL/CELTA/DELTA)
- Native or non-native speakers of English
- Teaching experience (preferred)
Officially, you do not need a bachelor’s degree to apply for a teaching job at Skyeng. However, people have seen their recruiters searching for teachers with bachelor’s degrees.
However, it isn’t expressed openly on the website, so do not get discouraged if you don’t have one.
Check the following list to see if you meet the basic tech requirements.
- Stable internet connection – If you’re not sure about your internet connection’s strength, check the speed
- A laptop or personal computer
- Webcam (internal or external)
- Headsets or headphones with a microphone
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Bolen, Jackie (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 169 Pages - 04/13/2020 (Publication Date)
How Much Will You Make Teaching ESL Online with Skyeng?
Although Skyeng accepts non-native English speakers as teachers, there is a big difference in the pay. The hourly rate can vary between 5 to 20 USD. Typically, native English speakers get paid 20 USD per hour. According to Skyeng, teachers generally make 400-600 USD every month.
Bonuses and Incentives
Teachers who complete more than ten lessons with one student can receive bonuses. However, other factors are also considered, including retention, discipline, and intensity rate.
Sky Eng Contracts and Taxes
Online English teachers are considered independent contractors. So, you will be responsible for submitting and paying taxes.
What’s the Hiring Process Like at Skyeng?
There are four main steps:
- Submit the application form online
- Record a video interview
- Skype interview and demo class
- Complete training
Expect the whole process to take about one week. However, some applicants reported completing the process in one or two days. There are also extreme cases that took up to four weeks to complete the hiring process.
Teachers will receive a 3-hour training and one-hour mock lesson with one of Skyeng’s methodologists. In addition, teachers will have an hour-long meeting with an education manager.
Skype Interview and Online ESL Teaching Demo Class
The third step of the main hiring process is also broken down into four parts:
- Interview questions
- Company introduction
- Demo class
- Grammar Test
Including all the four parts, the whole interview session will take around 45-50 minutes. Your demo class has to be approximately 15-20 minutes. During the introduction, you will learn the details about the company. You will learn Skyeng’s expectations, Vimbox, and salary. It is also the time for you to ask any questions about the job.
You will have to complete a short grammar test at some point in the interview. Thus, it’s worth preparing for it.
What is the Work Schedule Like?
Not all online ESL companies give teachers flexibility, but Skyeng does. One of the most significant benefits of Skyeng is that teachers are able to create their lesson schedules. You can open and close time slots depending on your availability.
Then, based on your timetable, Skyeng will connect you with students. You are recommended to have 15-20 hours available per week. Although this is not stated on the website, it could pop up during the interview. So if you are asked about your availability, 15-20 would be a good number to answer.
The Skyeng Teaching Platform
Vimbox is Skyeng’s online ESL teaching platform.
It is a virtual classroom that allows teachers and students to interact in real time. The primary communication method is video chat. Moreover, experts develop lesson plans, and Vimbox automatically grades students’ assignments.
The platform reduces the work that has to be done outside of class. As a result, Vimbox makes teachers’ lives easier and lesson preparation more convenient.
The Takeaway on Skyeng
Skyeng is an appealing option in a few aspects. If you are a non-native English speaker, Skyeng is one of the few online schools that will hire you. Also, if you are not so keen on teaching young students, Skyeng is the right place.
Unlike most online ESL companies, Skyeng has a significant portion of adult students. Also, due to the huge popularity in Eastern Europe, the majority of the students are from Russia and Europe.
FAQ About Skyeng English Teaching
Here is a quick guide to some commonly asked questions about Sky eng and Skyeng jobs.
Is Skyeng Russian?
Yes, Skyeng is a Russian company. That’s why the timetables are set at Moscow time (GMT +3).
Who are Sky Eng Students?
There is a wide age range of students from pre-schoolers to adults. However, the majority of the students are working adults from Russia or Eastern Europe.
How Much Can You Earn with Skyeng?
On average, teachers make approximately 400-600 USD every month. Your exact salary depends on the schedule and whether you are a native or non-native English speaker.
How do you get Paid for teaching English online with Skyeng?
Skyeng pays teachers every two weeks via PayPal. In addition, teachers can use their personal accounts to track completed lessons and corresponding payments.
What are the Pros and Cons of Teaching for SkyEng?
Skyeng is an online English language learning platform that connects students with English teachers for one-on-one lessons. When considering working for Skyeng, it’s important to consider the potential pros and cons. Here are some general advantages and disadvantages to consider:
- Flexible schedule: Skyeng offers a flexible teaching schedule, allowing you to choose available time slots that fit your availability. This can be beneficial if you have other commitments or prefer to have control over your teaching hours.
- Work from home: Teaching for Skyeng enables you to work remotely from the comfort of your own home. This eliminates the need for commuting and provides convenience and flexibility in your work environment.
- Large student base: Skyeng has a large student base, which means there is a consistent flow of students seeking English lessons. This can provide you with a steady stream of teaching opportunities and potential income.
- Training and support: Skyeng offers training programs and ongoing support for their teachers. They provide resources, materials, and guidance to help you improve your teaching skills and provide quality instruction to students.
- Competitive pay: Skyeng offers competitive compensation for its teachers. The exact pay rate may depend on factors such as experience, qualifications, and performance. There may also be opportunities for bonuses or incentives based on student feedback and lesson ratings.
- Contractual obligations: Working for Skyeng requires signing a contract, which may include specific terms and conditions. It’s important to thoroughly review and understand the contract before committing to ensure that it aligns with your needs and expectations.
- Availability of students: Depending on your availability and the demand for lessons, there may be periods where you experience fluctuations in the number of students and teaching hours. It’s essential to consider if the available teaching hours align with your income goals.
- Fixed lesson rates: Skyeng sets fixed lesson rates, and as a teacher, you may not have control over the pricing. This means that your earning potential may be limited by the rates set by the platform.
- Potential scheduling challenges: Skyeng operates primarily in Russia and neighboring countries, which may result in time zone differences for teachers in other regions. This can lead to scheduling challenges, especially if you prefer teaching during regular daytime hours.
- Limited interaction with colleagues: As an online teaching platform, the interaction with colleagues may be limited compared to traditional teaching settings. If you thrive on collaboration and team interaction, this aspect may be a drawback.
Teaching English Online with Skyeng: Join the Conversation
What are your thoughts on Skyeng school? Is it the right choice for you, or do you have a better place in mind? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think. We would love to hear from you.
Last update on 2022-07-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API