Teaching online is becoming more and more popular amongst ESL teachers. It is a great option, especially for English teachers at the beginning of their teaching careers. Not only can teachers build their experience but can also make extra money by teaching for online English schools like Topica Native. Teaching English online is a perfect way to supplement ESL teachers’ income.
Some examples of online English teaching schools or companies are Topicanative, Skyeng, SkimaTalk, and Open English. There are so many other options, which can make it difficult for ESL teachers to choose one that they would like to work for.
All of these online English companies have their own pros and cons. In order to find the best online teaching platform, you should go over the details of a few different companies and decide depending on your preferences. Continue reading to find out if Topica Native is the right choice for you.
What is Topica Native?
Topica Native is an online English speech tutoring platform managed by the Topica Edtech group. Teachers on Topica Native mainly teach university and adult students who are located in Vietnam (where the main office is located), Thailand, and Indonesia. Topica English teachers are mostly native teachers from the U.S., Australia, and European countries. It is known to utilize innovative learning and teaching tools for English speaking.
What are the Requirements to Teach at Topica Native?
TopicaNative has relatively easy minimum requirements.
- Prior teaching experience
- Native English speaker
The two qualifications above are preferred but are not required. This is a major advantage compared to other Online English tutoring companies. Many competitors will require their teachers to meet these two qualifications, however, it is not the case for Topica Native. Furthermore, Topicanative has online training courses for un-experienced English teachers. Therefore, lack of experience shouldn’t discourage teachers from applying for the job.
Topica Native does prefer native English speakers, but they make exceptions for non-native English speakers who are highly proficient. So, non-native speakers who are as skilled as native speakers can become online ESL instructors at Topica Native.
In order to teach English Speech online with Topica Native you must need:
- Personal computer or laptop;
- Stable and high-speed (at least 1 MB) Internet connection
- Good sound capabilities
- Audio headsets
- High comfort utilizing online programs and technology
As the job is done online, it is important to meet the technical requirements. Without a strong Internet connection, it can be difficult to deliver the best quality lesson to students.
What is the Work Schedule Like?
At TopicaNative, teachers are free to choose the time and number of classes they want to teach. Every day, there are 16 classes that begin at 8 AM and end at 11 PM (GMT+7). The timeslots are based on the timezone used by Thailand and Vietnam. Each class lasts for 45 minutes.
However, during the first 4-5 weeks of your work, you will be able to only teach up to 5 classes per week. Also, you have to submit your schedule one week in advance. Then, on Friday, you will receive your schedule for the next week.
How Much Will You Make Teaching ESL Online with Topica Native?
Topica Native uses a payscale of 8 ranks. During the demo session and training classes, teachers will be classified into one of the 8 ranks. Depending on the rank, teachers will get paid at a different hourly rate. The salary is known to range between $10 and $16 (USD) per hour. The salary is directly transferred to the teacher’s bank account between the 5th and 10th of every month.
What’s the Hiring Process Like at Topica Native?
There are mainly two ways to apply for the teaching job at Topicanative. First, you can apply through the official website. Second, if you already know someone teaching with Topica, you can ask that person to recommend you and send the CV. The application process is much simpler than other online English schools. However, do not wait longer than 3 weeks to hear back from them. If they do not ask you to proceed to the next step within three weeks, it is better to look for another job opportunity.
If you do get to move on to the next step of the hiring process with Topica Native, you will go through the following steps.
- 2 Test Classes
- 2 Exam Classes
- IT Tests
- Joining Topica Native
Keep in mind that the joining process can take up to two weeks.
Topica English Online Teaching
A great benefit of teaching with Topica English is that you do not need to prepare any class materials. Topicanative provides their teachers with lesson plans, outlines, and necessary resources every week via email.
Teachers will mainly teach adults and university students living in Thailand, Vietnam, and Indonesia who desire to learn conversational English. Therefore, your main responsibilities are:
- Lead online classes and guide students to improve their fluency in English
- Use the provided lesson plans to help adult ESL students improve their English communication skills
- Correct pronunciation and grammar mistakes
Teachers can be anywhere in the world if they have a stable and strong Internet connection.
Topica English Review
According to teachers and experts, Topica Native is a relatively young and small online English teaching company. However, the growth of TopicaNative in this industry is impressive. Teachers who have worked for Topica English are also satisfied with their organization. ESL teachers can earn up to $1,000 depending on their ranking. Yes, it is not a lot. Although it can’t be your full-time job, it can be a quite attractive supplementary source of income.
FAQs About Topica English Teaching
Here is a quick guide to some commonly asked questions about teaching English online with Topica Native.
What is Topica Native?
Topica Native is an online English teaching platform owned by Topica Edtech company in Vietnam. Most of the students are adults and university students living in Vietnam, Thailand, and Indonesia who wish to improve their English communication skills.
How do you apply Topica?
You can either apply through the official Topicanative website or ask a friend or family already working with Topica Native for recommendations. You can expect to hear back from the recruiter within two weeks. Once you proceed in the hiring process, the joining process will take additional two weeks.
Which online platform is the best for teaching English?
The best online English teaching platform depends on what you, as a teacher, are looking for. If you wish to teach English communication and conversational skills, then Topica Native is one of the best options. You also have other options such as Skyeng, Open English, and Yeko.
How much does Topica Native pay?
Topica Native has a payscale with 8 rankings. Teachers get paid different hourly wages depending on their rankings. The hourly wage ranges from $8.5 to $16 (USD).
Pros of Working for Topica
- Flexibility: Online education companies often provide flexible work arrangements, allowing teachers to choose their own working hours and location, which can be convenient for those seeking a flexible schedule or remote work opportunities.
- Global Reach: Topica operates in multiple countries, allowing teachers to connect with students from diverse backgrounds and cultures, providing an enriching experience in terms of cross-cultural communication and exposure.
- Professional Development: Working for an online education company like Topica may offer opportunities for professional growth and development through training programs, feedback sessions, and resources to improve teaching skills.
- Technology Integration: Online education platforms often utilize technology to enhance the learning experience, providing teachers with the chance to become proficient in educational technology tools and teaching methodologies.
Cons of Working for Topica
- Variable Income: Depending on the teaching arrangement and number of students, income can be unpredictable or variable. This is common in freelance or contract-based teaching positions, which may be the case with Topica.
- Potential Workload Challenges: Teaching online can sometimes involve managing multiple classes or students simultaneously, which can be demanding and require effective time management and organization skills.
- Technical Difficulties: Working online means relying on stable internet connections and technical platforms. Technical issues or disruptions can occur, impacting the teaching experience and requiring troubleshooting skills.
- Limited Face-to-Face Interaction: Teaching online can lack the in-person connection and immediate feedback that traditional classroom settings offer. This may require additional effort to establish rapport and effectively engage with students.
Teaching English Online with TopicaNative: Join the Conversation
What are your thoughts on Topica? Is it the right choice for you, or do you have a better platform in mind? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think. We would love to hear from you.