If you want to know the animal sounds in English, you’re in the right place. We have the most popular animal noises (horse—neigh, for example). It’s also known an onomatopoeia.
Animal Sounds in English Onomatopoeia
Onomatopoeia is when a word represents a sound. You may already know that cows “moo,” or that snakes “hiss.” Each language has different animal noises! Keep on reading to find out the animal sounds in English with this helpful list, along with pictures of each one.
Animal Sounds List
- chirp (bird)
- cluck (chicken)
- cock-a-doodle-doo (rooster)
- cuckoo (bird)
- hee-haw (donkey)
- hiss (snake)
- hoot (owl)
- meow (cat)
- oink (pig)
- moo (cow)
- neigh (horse)
- purr (cat)
- quack (duck)
- ribbit (frog)
- roar (bear or lion)
- tweet (bird)
- woof (dog)
Animal Sounds in English
roar—bear and lion sound
If you’re a teacher or parent, you might find this useful: Animal Trivia for Kids with Answers.
Animal Noises in English Chart
Take a look at this animal sounds chart to use for a handy reference.
More Vocabulary Resources
If you’re learning English, you might also be interested in these ones:
- Shapes List in English
- Flower Names
- Things that Come in Pairs
- Winter seasons clothes
- Color Names
- Abbreviations in English
- Fruit Names
- Vegetable Names
How to Remember New Words?
If you want to remember new vocabulary words, here are a few tips that we have:
- Start with this animal noises chart and list. Take a look and read them carefully.
- Be sure to say new words out loud. You should be able to say them, as well as read them.
- Make some flashcards with the animal on one side, and the noise on the other side. Study them whenever you have a little bit of free time.
- Study together with a friend and give each other tests. This will increase your motivation.
- Whenever you learn a new word, use it as soon as possible to make it more memorable.
Animal Noises FAQs
There are a number of common questions that people have about the noises that animals make, in English. Here are the answers to some of the most popular ones.
What sound does a cat make?
A cat usually makes a “meow” sound.
What sound does a dog make?
A dog most often makes a “bark” sound.
What sound does a cow make?
A cow typically makes a “moo” sound.
What sound does a rooster make?
A rooster usually makes a “cock-a-doodle-doo” sound.
What sound does a horse make?
A horse typically makes a “neigh” sound.
Animal Sounds Onomatopoeia: Join the Conversation
Did you find this animal onomatopoeia list useful? Leave a comment and let us know. We’d really appreciate it!