If you’re looking for a list of categories, you’re in the right place. Have a look at this categories list!
Have a look at these word category games & activities.
Category List: People
- famous people
- comic book heroes
- ways to describe someone’s personality
- family members
- sports teams (football, basketball, etc.)
- sports (see our list of sports here)
- first names
- things with pockets
- generations (Gen X, etc.)
- body parts
- things with buttons
- ways to exercise
- internal organs
- terms of endearment
- school subjects
- school supplies
- things you learn
- annoying things
- college majors
- math vocab
List of Categories: In the World
- tourist attractions
- famous cities
- days of the week
- things you can see in the sky
- ancient civilizations
- types of government
Categories of Things: Eating and Drinking
- dairy products
- fast food restaurants
- healthy/unhealthy things
- things you eat in a restaurant
- kinds of meat
- foods that kids eat
- breakfast foods
- lunch foods
- ways to cook eggs
- ways to cook potatoes
List of Categories: Animals
- zoo animals
- farm animals
- wild animals
- animals with legs
- ocean animals
- big/small animals
- fictional creatures
- famous animals
- animal sounds
Categories List: Going Places
- public transportation
- busiest airports
- famous cities to visit
- famous countries to visit
- things to do on the weekend
- music genres
- famous songs
- academy awards
- TV shows
List of Categories: Kinds of Words
- Words with double vowels
- Words with more than 5 (6, 7, etc.) letters
- Words with exactly 5 (6,7, etc.) letters
- Words with a certain number of syllables
- Words that begin and end with the same letter
- Words that are the same forwards and backward
- verb tenses
- rhyming words
- rooms in a house
- things to put on a wall
- kitchen appliances
- what you can find under the bed
- kitchen utensils
- states of matter
- periodic table elements
- things used in science experiments
- things that can change states
- things that float
- things that sink
- things that measure
Categories List: Things
- Things to eat.
- Things to drink.
- Things to do after work.
- Things in an office.
- Things in a kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, etc.
- Things made of plastic, wood, metal, etc.
- Things that are red, black, yellow, green, etc.
- Things that run on electricity.
- Things you can do in your free time.
- Things that are square, round, rectangle, etc.
- Things that are hot, cold, wet, dry, etc.
- Things that grow quickly, move, stay in one place, etc.
- Things with wheels, legs, etc.
- Things that you would take with you to a deserted island.
- Things that you take on vacation.
- Things you can read, watch, listen to, etc.
- Things you can collect.
- Things to do alone.
- Things to do with other people.
- Things at the beach.
List of Categories: Parts of Speech
There are a number of common questions that people have about categories. Here are the answers to some of the most popular ones.
What are categories?
Categories are groupings or classifications that help organize and make sense of information or objects based on their shared characteristics or attributes.
Why are categories important?
Categories provide a structured framework for understanding and organizing diverse information, making it easier to process, analyze, and retrieve relevant information efficiently.
How are categories created?
Categories can be created based on various criteria, such as shared characteristics, purpose, function, or relationship. They are often established through a process of classification and grouping.
Can categories overlap?
Yes, categories can overlap when an item or concept falls into multiple categories simultaneously. Overlapping categories acknowledge the presence of shared characteristics among different groups.
Are categories fixed or can they change over time?
Categories are not fixed and can change over time. As our understanding and knowledge evolve, categories may be revised, expanded, or redefined to accommodate new information or insights.
Categories List: Join the Conversation
Did we miss anything? Please leave a comment and let us know. We’ll add it to the list.